Spin Cycle Not Working Except for Heavy Duty

Old 04-13-20, 08:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spin Cycle Not Working Except for Heavy Duty

Hello,

I have a 30something year old kenmore washer, model 110 92573200.

The spin cycles are not working for most types of washes. Gentle, Permanent Press, and Normal washes don't spin. For some reason, the Heavy Duty wash does spin. I figure that it would be just a matter of time before that fails as well. Is this a part that needs to be replaced? Is it a pretty straightforward fix, or is it time to replace the whole machine?

Old 04-14-20, 01:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Please check model # think you have a wrong number. I in't recolonize the number and site I go to shows a bearing.

Old 04-14-20, 09:37 AM
B
This is an image of the model number from the washer...

Attached Images  
Old 04-14-20, 10:03 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
I use the Sears parts site and the model comes up but the period has to be included re: 110.92573200

Problem sounds like a bad timer to me.

Old 04-14-20, 12:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spoiler

Is this in Canada? If so we can't pull up your machine.. A picture of the under side of washer will tell me what washer you have. Need a little back picture of gearcase.
Don't know where spoiler came from.

Old 04-14-20, 01:11 PM
B
No, NY, USA. I'll see if I can figure out how to get that picture to you...

Old 04-14-20, 01:15 PM
B
Bad timer? OK, Is that something that's easy to replace?

Old 04-15-20, 02:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was a washer tech for many years and never ran into your symptoms. That why I wanted to know which machine you had. Retired now so not current. Timer is easy and can help walk through if needed.
Finally got model # to work. Had to type number in instead of copy and paste.
Look under washer about 6 inches up on sides of cabinet. Look for a streak of oil, if there you need a top seal for gearcase, clutch and drive coupler. most have replaced a couple of hundred of those.Easy repair with a couple of hours invested.
Yes machine is worth repairing . I just moved and left washer behind that was the same one, Think I will be sorry.

Old 04-16-20, 05:11 PM
B
Well hello again. I won't be able to check for a little while. My wife tried to use the only cycle that was working. Now no cycles are working. During the Heavy Duty wash, there is a faint clicking sound as if something small is trying to turn, but the agitator isn't moving. Washer is now full of water. I have to bail it out before I can look underneath.

Old 04-17-20, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try it on spin with lid closed.If drive couple broke may make noise but will drain water out. If you have a wet dry vacuum it works best.. after all visible water is out put vacuum to drain hose end and will suck out the rest.

Old 04-17-20, 10:53 AM
B
Thanks! That worked! Don't know if it spun, but the water drained. My wife performed the task.

I will check below to see if there is any leak.

Last edited by bper123; 04-17-20 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-18-20, 03:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like your drive coupler went bad. To bad I am not there about a 15 minute job for me. Plan at least a hour if first time. Can walk you through job if needed.

Old 04-18-20, 07:53 AM
B
OK. I'm going to look underneath and see if I can check.

1) What are you hours of availability (hours and time zone)?
2) Are there still stores where this part can be bought or only online?

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-18-20, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Retired but just moved into new (to me) house so in and out a lot. That is most common washer ever built so parts are found in any appliance parts store and there are many sites on line with walk through instructions. I can give any shortcuts I have learned in 20 years of washer repair.

Old 04-18-20, 10:47 AM
B
OK, pugsl. I looked under the machine, and except for some lost socks and dust, it looks pretty clean down there.

I saw what I think is the coupler. If that IS it, it looks broken to me. I have attached a photo. Please tell me your thoughts. There is a black rubber and white plastic portion of it that appears missing, or broken off. (I don't see it anywhere though)

Attached Images  
Old 04-18-20, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes that is a bad coupler. About 2 revisions since that one was out. Very surprised it lasted this long. Go to store and get a new one. Will look a little different and have a medal bushing in plastic part.

Old 04-18-20, 02:30 PM
B
Great. Just wish I could find a store. I went out today looking, and no one seems to have it. I may have to order online. Yes, this is the original from when we purchased the washer many years ago. I certainly have gotten my money's worth out of that one! Thanks! I'll report after I find the coupler.

Do you think that this is most likely the only problem based on what I initially reported? While I'm under there, if I have to take things apart, I might as well look for other faulty parts. It is about a 30 year old machine. I heard something about the clutch being near there. Is it worth checking or leave alone? Does the coupler normally go bad on its own or does another faulty part damage it?

Old 04-19-20, 01:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If no oil streak around inside of Cabinet I would not do anything else. Streak would be about 6 inches up from floor. Here it is from amazon. Free shipping with Prime.
https://www.amazon.com/285753A-Coupl...7285414&sr=8-1
8.00$ I don't think you could get it any cheaper. Don't think I bought them for lsee than 12 to 15 dollars when I was working.
After you fix this I would look at agitator. Grab top and try to turn it . It should only turn in one direction. If it goes both ways than you need agitator dogs. They are on same page in amazon. If agitator does not turn at all than you don't have this type. Top of agitator will turn easy.

Last edited by pugsl; 04-19-20 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 10:21 AM
B
OK everyone, I just wanted to update where I am with this repair.

pugsl, it took over a week for amazon to deliver the part so I had to wait until this morning install the coupler. I installed the coupler, pretty much without incident. After putting everything back together, I noticed that I must have dislodged a bushing somehow. I saved the bushing, but wasn't going to dismantle everything again, unless the missing bushing caused more noise or other problems.

After installation, I was only able to test the heavy duty cycle, and the agitator worked, the spin worked, the rinse worked. So, I am happy with the heavy duty cycle. I hope, that when I use the other cycles that I can report the same success. Please look out for my report. But thank you, very much, pugsl!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: