Bad fridge compressor?

Old 04-16-20, 09:19 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad fridge compressor?

What would be a typical sign of a refrigeant leak or a bad compressor?

I have a 13 year old fridge. I woke up to warm freezer. Both fans are working. The coils in the freezer are warm, no frost whatsoever. The refrigerant lines off the compressor are all cool to the touch. If the compressor is even running, its most of the time cool to the touch. A few times I felt slight warmth and heard refrigerant gurgling erratically. If I remove power to the unit and plug it directly back in I do not hear the safety relay clicking like it usually does.

Does it sound like I have a leak or a bad compressor?

I stocked up on frozen food too a few weeks ago.... its all wasted.

Old 04-16-20, 09:40 AM
B
Let me clarify.

The compressor is running but it is barely warm and the line going to the coils is cold. Compressor fan is working as is the evaporator fan. The evaporator coils are room temperature in the freezer.

Does this suggest a sealed system problem?

I am assuming since the compressor is running, that rules out the start relay and thermal protection. The fridge is only pulling about .3A while compressor appears to be running).

Old 04-16-20, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,969 Votes on 2,679 Posts
In my opinion it sounds like a loss of refrigerant.
Usually if it's a bad compressor..... it's dead or has a hard time starting.
If it's actually running..... it should be good.

Old 04-16-20, 10:14 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
I agree with PJmax if the compressor is running and there is no cooling at all odds are that it is a freon problem.

It usually does not matters because if it is freon or the compressor it will be expensive to repair as you need a pro.
Often it makes more sense to just buy a new unit.

Old 04-16-20, 10:28 AM
B
Yes that what I was thinking. The only other observation I see is that at the settings on high, I can maintain a temp in the freezer to about 20-30 degrees.... my normal setting at the lowest was keeping it at -10 to -20.

So would a freon leak cause less cooling, but some?

Its old enough to buy a new one (Its just a standard top freezer model and I plan to go smaller this time).Whats stopping me though is that I thought maybe the control board or thermostat was my issue?

I am not sure if I want to wait and order a part that might not work if its the freon... or buy a new fridge today and get it delivered tomorow and maybe salvage some food by filling some coolers in the meantime.

Old 04-16-20, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Look at the evaporator coil in the freezer. If it's evenly frosted...... it's not a low charge.
If it's iced up around the pipes and one end..... it is a low charge.

Old 04-16-20, 10:41 AM
B
The evaporator coil has no frost whatsoever.

The compressor is running non-stop but cant drop temperature. The controls are set on highest. I am assuming if it was a thermostat or control board issue, the compressor would be cycling.

Old 04-16-20, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Since you said maintaining 20- 30 in freezer and there is no visible frost.... the charge is low.

Old 04-16-20, 11:18 AM
B
Thanks, thats the direction I am going to take.

Is there any harm letting it run nonstop like this until I get a replacement?

20-30 degrees is as good as my coolers I am guessing. As for safety, I checked the amp draw and it appears to only consume .3 amps and as said the compressor is cool.

Old 04-16-20, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
As the compressor runs..... the charge will get lower and lower until nothing is left.

Old 04-16-20, 12:48 PM
B
thanks alot.

How hot should the line coming out of the compressor be? Hot to touch, butn your finger hot or just barely warm?

Im guessing the one thats supposed to get hot is the one that connects to the coils on the bottom.

Old 04-16-20, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... the hot line connects to the condenser coils underneath and the cold line connects via a cap tube to the evaporator coil inside the freezer. There should be a very noticeable difference between the hot and cold lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: