Most reliable refrigerator brand?

Old 04-20-20, 02:45 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Most reliable refrigerator brand?

I'm in need of a new fridge. The most important thing to me is reliability. Can anyone recommend the most reliable brand in their experience? GE, Samsung, Whirlpool, LG, Frigidaire, etc. ?
Most websites only rate the fridge based on features and design. I only care about reliability. Thanks

Old 04-20-20, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Nancy Pelosi recommends SubZero's.

Old 04-20-20, 03:07 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
lol slightly out of my price range

Old 04-20-20, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,952 Votes on 2,664 Posts
I have been a die hard Whirlpool man for many many years.
I wish the quality was still there.

I've you were to read around online you'd see that LG's and Samsung's are the most reliable..... or are listed as the most reliable. I hate to make a recommendation as I see problems with all brands.

SubZero's are good but very expensive.

Old 04-20-20, 03:12 PM
C
Received 224 Votes on 182 Posts
Looking at them I think they are all made in the same factory in Wuhan.

My advice - buy from a local dealer with a rep for supporting their stuff. You may have to pay a bit more up front but if you have a problem, especially in the warranty period you are much better off than buying at a big box.

Old 04-20-20, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks CW.... that reminded me..... Get an extended warranty. At least three or better five years.

Old 04-20-20, 03:54 PM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
Everybody remembers when appliances used to last decades, so what happened?

Well your government stepped in and started mandatory energy efficiency, so appliance makes have to downsize compressors, motors, etc to save a few pennies of electricity at the cost of an appliance that doesn't last but a handful of years!

That said, we went through 2 refrigerators, and 3 washers in a period of time, all american made, and probably the last! Unfortunately the Koreans seem to have figured out what it takes!

Old 04-20-20, 04:30 PM
T
Received 73 Votes on 67 Posts
Generally, refrigerators are built to last about 10 years on average although many do considerably longer. I believe that maintaining your unit is as important as the one you buy. Keep the condenser coils free of dust/dirt and change the filter regularly.

Old 04-20-20, 04:45 PM
H
Received 250 Votes on 216 Posts
Well, I've got a 40 year old Borg Warner (yes car transmission) fridge that just keeps running...

Old 04-20-20, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
The government has mandated energy saving steps but that is not the real reason for poorly built products. We, the American people, have demanded cheaper products and we got what we asked for.

This confrontation with China may be a good thing. It has opened everyone's eyes to how dependent we are on China built products. We may see more production moved back into America.

Old 04-21-20, 03:17 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
I will not recommend a brand because I would jinx you but I will comment on what I would not buy.

I would buy a major established brand. Reliability stats are often misleading. When Bosch first came out folks said they were very very reliable. The real reason they saw fewer problems was because there were fewer units in the field.

I would not buy fancy. Fancy translates into just more stuff to break. Also they sell less of them so there are less parts stocked.

I would not buy a dual evaporator unit. It is basically like buying two units so the odds of sealed system problems doubles. Actually more than that because the freon switching valves often have problems.

I would not buy a unit with an ice maker in the fresh food compartment. They seem to cause a lot of problems.

Both Frigidaire and LG have had compressor problems. I think there is currently a class action suit against LG.
GE had problems with a bad fan blowing out the control boards.
And the list goes on.

I would rate reliability as top mounted, then side by side and then bottom mounted.

Shepweiler voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: