New stove control decals

Old 04-20-20, 07:07 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New stove control decals

The stove control decals on our Samsung oven are worn off to the point they are really difficult to read (I didn't think we cleaned that much!). Because two of the burners are multi element types (large ring and small ring are controlled separately) it's easy to screw up and sometimes this results in testing the smoke alarm.

I've found a website that sells the decals for our oven so I think I want to replace the decals but they're $60 so I don't want them to just rub off again. So my thought is to spray clear coat over the decals so they won't get wiped out before the oven reaches end of life (FYI, the oven is about 5 years old now).

So what do you think, would spraying some clear coat on the oven panel to protect the decals work?

Attached Images  
Old 04-20-20, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Those look like originally silkscreened labels. A replacement would most likely be a rub off transfer.
A rub off transfer is not terribly durable.

In the past I used a product called datakoat. It comes in liquid and spray. Page 269 in LKG catalog.
LKG Home Page
Datakoat (pdf)

Floquil "Flat Finish" is another sealer used in model railroad applications to seal graphics.

Old 04-21-20, 03:27 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
Not familiar with the decals you refer to.
It may depend on is it a sticker type decal re: the clear plastic stays or a transfer decal.

PJmax's suggestion sounds good to me but if possible I would try it first.
Often decals have stuff on them that is not used re: manufacturers name etc. so you could use that.

Old 04-21-20, 06:46 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks PJMax - I'd never heard of that company or their products but it sounds just like what I'm looking for! Thanks as well to manden for the testing suggestion - I will definitely do that!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: