Noise from washing machine pump when draining

Old 05-01-20, 02:05 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Noise from washing machine pump when draining

Yesterday I noticed a loud noise (like if you were to stick something in a fan blade) coming from the bottom of my LG washer only while it was draining. It's obvious that something is going on with the pump so I am going to take it apart later. My question is, would it just make a noise like that if something were stuck in it, or could the pump
be bad? If the pump could be bad, I want to make sure I can find one locally before I tear it apart so I don't have to wait several days for one to ship if I need to order one. The filter had a plastic wrapper in it but it still made noise even after I cleaned it out.
​​​​​​

​​​

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-20, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
You should be able to easily disconnect the drain pump to see if something is caught in it.
A model number would be helpful.

Old 05-01-20, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Model # top loader or front loader. Have seen coins in pump if a top loader.

Old 05-01-20, 05:32 PM
D
LG Front loader. The pump number is 4681ea2001t. It seems like a common one, but I am just wondering if the noise can also mean it is going bad (if I take it apart and find nothing in it). It seems like an easy fix, I just don't want to have to do it twice if I find nothing stuck in there.

Old 05-01-20, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
As Pugsi mentioned.... we have seen a coin in them. It looks like the pump is only around $20 so it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare one.

Old 05-01-20, 10:48 PM
D
Well, I took it apart and didn't see anything stuck in the pump so I guess I will just replace it. Hopefully I can find one somewhere locally tomorrow so I don't have to wait all week for one to ship.

Old 05-02-20, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I think you can take the front off pump and see impeller (retired 6 years ago) and see if something stuck behind it. Straight or hair pin is another common thing I found.

Old 05-02-20, 03:07 PM
D
I didn't see anything stuck. I was able to get one today at a local appliance parts store and it's up and running fine again. Luckily I didn't have to wait a week for one to ship.