Dishwasher not filling w/o priming

Old 05-10-20, 10:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher not filling w/o priming

I have a 24" Frigidair dishwasher (Mod. FMB330RGSO) that will only fill with water and run a full cycle if I "prime" the unit by adding a couple of pan fulls of water in before starting. During the cycle the unit fills and re-fills as normal. Without the "prime" it runs dry; a full cycle without any water. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-20, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 741 Votes on 696 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since you say it will fill with water by itself later in the cycle..... that would point to a defective timer.
It's the timers job to fill the tub from 4-6 times per wash cycle.

In the link the timer is #53 in the "control panel/door" tab.
Timer OEM # 5304460927. Is showing as no longer available.
If you search using that part number you'll find some new/old stock units available.

Sear's Parts Direct

Old 05-19-20, 01:54 PM
T
Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I've been away so I am a bit late in responding.

Just to clarify a bit, the dishwasher won't fill at anytime during the cycle. I can set the timer and it will run a full cycle without ever filling with water (the 5-6 times).....Unless....I "prime" by adding a couple of pan full of water to the machine. Then I start it at the beginning and it runs perfectly. Filling the 5-6 times from the very beginning. Seems like the initial adding water somehow triggers the dishwasher to run correctly. Do you think it has something to do with the fill or float sensor? (which I can not find in the machine anyway)? Thanks

Old 05-20-20, 03:10 AM
M
Received 121 Votes on 113 Posts
Below is info on this unit
Frigidaire Manual Search Results

Note that the last digit in your model number is a zero not an o

The fill (pressure) sensor is in the Tub section of the parts Item 29.
Looks to be mounted on the right side of the unit.
Looks like the same type of level sensor used in clothes washers.

Does it work correctly if you try a different cycle type.
If yes then my guess would be that it is a bad timer,

Old 05-20-20, 07:49 AM
T
Hi and thanks for the reply. As to your question: Does it work correctly if you try a different cycle type? The answer is "No." Every time the dishwasher is started it will run through a complete cycle without ever putting a drop of water inside. No matter where the dial (timer) is set, "Full, Normal or Light" wash, no water ever comes into the tub.

The only time it works correctly is if some water is manually put into the tub. Then when the machine is turned on (any cycle) it runs perfectly. When it first starts, I hear and see the initially added water pump out through the discharge into the garbage disposal. Then I hear the tub begin to fill with hot water. I can feel the feed line warm up as the hot water enters the machine. And the machine runs through a complete cycle...emptying, filling, emptying, filling as the timer moves forward. Again, somehow the adding of water (priming) to the tub before it is turned on triggers the washer to run correctly.

But the next time I start the machine with dirty dishes...same problem. It will not fill with water. And I must "prime" with some water into the tub before it will properly run again.

Thanks,

Old 05-20-20, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
That pressure switch is in a strange location (wiring). I've never seen it used like that. It looks like when it trips from high water it shuts the machine down and activates just the drain pump. I would eliminate that as the problem since the timer is working.

The timer uses one set of contacts for the water valve so the contacts aren't the problem.
It could be a lobe missing off the timer for the first rinse fill up.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-20-20 at 07:10 PM. Reason: clarified
Old 05-20-20, 10:13 AM
M
I was able to find a service manual for it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzI...FrZmxsa1k/view

Did this unit ever work correctly at this location/set up?
Has something changed/moved with the drain line?
Are you sure you do not have a leak from the sump?

I also have never seen a unit like this so am grasping at straws.
It seems that by adding water you are resetting the pressure switch But for the life of me I cannot see why you would have to do this. At least looking at the timing chart and wiring diagram it does not make sense but I am probably missing something.

I do not see a check valve in the drain line so in normal operation the water from the drain line will drain back into the sump after a drain cycle so there will be water in there.
Perhaps the pressure tube from the sump to the pressure switch has a slow leak so the unit thinks the sump is empty and therefore screws up the cycles.

The unit always drains before a fill but I do not see why it has to or why if it sees the sump as empty it will not fill initially or for later rinses.

Old 05-20-20, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
I did read one item...... it mentioned a clogged line from the bottom of the sump to the pressure switch. Since that is a very small line that could be clogged.

Old 05-20-20, 11:10 AM
M
You could run a cycle like you are doing now with the prefill and then immediately after run another cycle without a prefill to see if it works.
If it does it would sort of confirm my guess but again It is just a guess.

They use this type of switch in washing machines and often over time the tubing connections start to leak. Often just cutting an inch off the tubing and redoing the connection fixes the problem.

Old 05-20-20, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
I just mentioned the clogged tube because it was something that was pointed out.

If you look at the way the switch is wired...... it's either sending power to the pump only or sending power to the rest of the machine. The OP said that the timer is working but the machine isn't running. That would suggest the pressure switch is in the correct position and is ok.

The timer has 8 locations where it fills the tub.
Since it doesn't matter what cycle it's started on..... it doesn't look like a timer problem.

Question..... when you fill the tub..... are you using hot or cold water ?
If you are using hot water..... can you try cold and see what happens.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-20-20 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 06:23 AM
M
I keep coming back to this and looking at the wiring diagram.
I am definitely missing something.
The pressure switch should always be in the 11 to 12 position except when there is an overflow and then it switches to the 11 to 14 position and turns on the drain pump.
At least that is the way the wiring diagram shows me it should work.
So he may be forcing it into an overflow condition.
But no matter how many what ifs I go through I just cannot come up with a fault that would cause the symptoms he has,

The more I look at it the less likely I think it is a flow switch problem so the only other device that would be affected by adding water is a thermistor but that also fails my what ifs.

I wonder if perhaps it is not the water itself that is affecting the unit but the weight of the water.
Perhaps there is a bad connection somewhere.

This is a real head scratcher1111

Old 05-21-20, 04:59 PM
T
Thank you all for you suggestions and thoughts.
Pete, I have used both cold and hot water. Same results...machine runs a normal cycle.

This unit is in a vacation condo at Lake Tahoe and I think I will remove it and bring it home where I can set it up and look at all the things you guys have suggested. We bought the ondo about 18 months ago. The dishwasher came with the condo, but looked like it had hardly been used. I notice the problem and have fiddled with it several times. I'll pull it at the end of the month and see if I can make any head way.

Thanks again to all of you. You know so much more that I ever will. But I will prevail. I'm not going to let this little dishwasher get the best of me.

Craig

Old 05-22-20, 02:31 AM
M
Since the unit has never worked correctly for you, the first thing I would do is check the wiring as you now have the diagram.

The reason I asked this question earlier was that over the years more than once I have spent a lot of time trying to diagnoses a problem and after many posts it comes out that someone else worked on the unit and messed up the wiring and the poster does not know what they did.

temecularevev voted this post useful.
Old 05-23-20, 08:13 AM
T
Thank you Manden, When I get the unit home in a couple of weeks I will be able to take a closer look at the wiring and all the other issues you and others have suggested. And thanks for all the links to parts and wiring diagrams.

Craig

Old 05-26-20, 10:58 AM
T
Will do. Bringing home to my workshop and I will be better able to look everything over. Much better than being on the floor. thanks again