Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Samsung Refrigerator, Model RB2055SL/XAA – Replacing Covers on Drawers – How?

Old 05-12-20, 01:42 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a Samsung Refrigerator, Model RB2055SL/XAA. How can I remove and replace the covers (fronts) for the crisper and freezer drawers? Can you send me instructions?

My Google search shows tutorials for two-door model refrigerators. My model is a 2004 single door with freezer at the bottom.

Thanks,

Jerry

5/12/20

Old 05-12-20, 10:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,965 Votes on 2,675 Posts
We use Sear's Parts Direct for exploded views and parts lists.
In the link below.... using the fridge and freezer shelf tabs on the left to view the assemblies.

Sear's Parts Direct

Old 05-13-20, 05:39 AM
J
Hi Pete -

I am aware of the Sears diagram. However, how can I remove and replace the covers (fronts) for the crisper and freezer drawers? Having broken the corners of these covers in trying to remove them, there probably is a correct technique for removing and replacing to minimize breakage.

Thanks for your input.

Jerry

Old 05-13-20, 06:13 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
Odds of getting directions on this are slim.
Someone who has actually done this on this model would have to see your post and reply.

Often they are unclipped from the bottom and then they will unlatch from the top.
I cannot even find a decent picture of the trays so am in the dark here.
The most important part is to make sure the drawer is warm and take your time.
As you apparently have found out they are brittle and break easily.

It may be a moot point as it does not look like replacements are available.

Old 05-13-20, 12:02 PM
J
Hello Manden -

Thanks for the return. Enclosed are two pictures of my crisper drawer. One picture shows the front of the cover and the other the back of the cover. I reposted them in case it would help someone to reply.

You see the top left corner of the cover has been glued back on. I intend to try and replace it back on the crisper to see if it will work. My freezer cover looks the same.

Now the reason for my request is this.

On this model of Samsung, I have had numerous breakages of vinyl parts throughout the refrigerator and freezer compartments. I’ve lost count on the number of parts I have replaced. To your point as the availability of these parts, because of my past breakage issues, I took the proactive position and ordered extra parts for some pieces. And, the pieces I have mentioned in my post I do have on hand.

But, before I attempt to put them on, I wanted the best advise so I don’t break them.

I contacted Samsung and they were of no help. It seems if a Samsung tech is required to replace these pieces, they do not. Instead, they order the complete drawer assembled. I was told to contact a parts supplier and ask them how to do it. I have done that and am waiting for a reply. However, I’m not optimistic I will receive a good answer. I’m sure they will refer me back to the Samsung tech.

So, I will try and replace the pieces with the glued corners and wait to see if I get a good response before attempting to replace the pieces with good parts.

Thanks,

Jerry

Attached Images   
Old 05-13-20, 12:55 PM
M
Hard to see how the bottom fits on.
I did find this on the net perhaps yours are similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxx-1URA7p4

I Googled "fridge drawer front cover replace" and looked for videos.
Perhaps you can find a closer match to yours.

If you cannot get a decent way to get them on without breaking them then perhaps this needs a jiggery pokery as a last resort.
File/cut off most of the top pegs and then put screw in to hold the front down on the peg.
Or just get rid or the peg and use a screw.

Old 05-13-20, 02:48 PM
J
Hello Manden –

Your link was very helpful. It gives me an idea of how I can use it for my issue. I’ve enclosed a picture of the bottom of the drawer and cover. It may not do you much good. Basically, the drawer bottom has a long grove along the bottom edge and the cover has a matching grove which slides over the edge of the drawer grove and locks in place.

I think the link told me to release the bottom first when removing the cover and to lock it into place last when replacing the cover. I had always wondered which side should be released first when removing and which side should be put in last when replacing.

As for the screws, that’s an interesting concept to think about. My hesitation on trying that first is when screwing in the screw, trying not to cause the plastic to crack.

Thanks again!!

Jerry

Attached Images  
Old 05-13-20, 03:32 PM
M
As far as a screw I would predrill it.

Or better yet use a bolt if you can get at the underside

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: