GE Fridge PZS22MSKBHSS Freezer Temperature Issues

Old 05-17-20, 07:01 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Fridge PZS22MSKBHSS Freezer Temperature Issues

I have an odd thing happening to my GE Profile side-by-side fridge, model: PZS22MSKBHSS.

The freezer compartment temperature is rising from the set temperature of -4F to 10-12F degrees, and then it recovers back to the set temperature. This happens over the span of a few hours, and it seems the fridge is running more than normal, probably no surprise there. The fresh food side, OTOH, maintains it's steady 38F temperature reliably. This just started happening out of the blue a couple days ago, before that we had no issues with temperature control.

This seems to indicate to me that the defrost system is going wonky. In researching the issue, it appears that all of that is on the main logic board. What other parts could account for the defrost cycle causing this issue? Is there perhaps a temperature sensor in the freezer that's not working properly? Could this just be a loose connection on the main logic board? I don't want to replace the main board if I'm looking at a sensor failure or bad connection.

Any insights to offer?

Old 05-17-20, 08:20 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
Have you checked/cleaned?
The front and rear coils.
The condenser coil
The condenser fan blades.

Also do you have the tech sheet as I cannot find one for this unit.
It usually has tye wiring diagram and diagnostics.
Yes there could be a thermistor that is causing the trouble.

Old 05-17-20, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
There are several temperature sensors.... fridge, freezer, evaporator coil.
A defrost problem is not usually caused by a sensor issue.
It's more common for the defrost heater, defrost thermostat or the board to go bad.

Have you cleaned the condenser coils, fan and compressor underneath the unit ?

There should be a tech sheet located in your fridge. I see it's a side by side so I'm not sure if it has a kickplate. The tech sheet is either behind the kickplate or in the back in the compressor area. It will have diagnostic information on the defrost system.

I'm trying to locate more service info.

Old 05-17-20, 08:25 AM
G
I cleaned the rear condenser coils and fan, that's the only exposed mechanics in this unit. There are no "front" coils, nothing under the fridge except air space. The condenser coils are a very compact circular affair with the fan on one end, first time I've seen this style in a fridge.

I don't have a schematic, although I've been looking for one. Having technical documentation would certainly make this process easier, of that I am certain.

Old 05-17-20, 08:38 AM
G
My defrost problem is kinda' a defrost in reverse problem. It's happening too often, and persisting too long. I don't find a defrost timer in the list of parts on the Sears parts site, which is the most complete parts list I've found. It appears that all that timing is done by the control board, but my question is, is there a sensor that would cause the defrost cycle to run way too long. My sense is the defrost heater shouldn't be on for hours, I thought it would be more like 10-15 minutes. I wouldn't think it's the heater as that's clearly heating.

Old 05-17-20, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
The tech sheet for that fridge is 31-51660. I have the ones around it but not that one.

Is there a descriptive name on the fridge like monogram or artica ?
Can you post the serial number. I might be able to locate service info by date of mfg.

Old 05-17-20, 10:02 AM
G
Here's the serial # plate.

Name:  GE Profile Side-By-Side Refriderator Serial No.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  32.4 KB

Old 05-17-20, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Anything other than GE on it ?
Some service manuals are provided for appliances based on the year of mfg. and the trade line.
Looks like it was manufactured in April of 2016. Does that seem to be correct ?

There is a defrost thermostat attached to the defrost heater and refrigerant line. Every fridge has this thermostat to cycle the heater element so that it doesn't get too hot and melt anything. Your fridge has adaptive defrosting.... that means it performs a defrost cycle and times how long it take for the defrost thermostat to open and it's cycling rate. Then it computes how much time this took and uses it for the next cycle. It performs another defrost cycle again in XX operating hours. Could be several days. Then it monitors that second cycle. The adaptive circuit changes actual defrost times and duration.

Old 05-17-20, 11:07 AM
G
Nothing that I see, it's GE all the way from everything visible on the unit. I don't see any other labels.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: