Refrigerator freezer at 14 degrees

Old 06-04-20, 04:16 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator freezer at 14 degrees

I have a freezer on top Frigidaire FGUI2149LP2 refrigerator. Just recently, the freezer is staying at 14 degrees (soft ice cream!). The refrigerator section temp is good at about 35. The evaporator fan seems to be working correctly. Can you recommend what to check first that could be causing the problem? Thanks.

Old 06-04-20, 05:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I would check the temperatures several times throughout the day to make sure you didn't check right after it finished a defrost cycle. Have you checked the temperature dial settings?

Old 06-04-20, 06:24 AM
B
Thanks for the reply. Three days ago, freezer door ajar, how long, don't know. Ice cream soft. I put thermometer in freezer then and temp has stayed at 14 since then. I also put a thermometer in refrigerator section, it was at 28 at one point so I adjusted temp control, now around 34. Condenser fan sounds like it is running. Does this indicate anything in particular?

I will open up back of freezer today and see if anything looks wrong.

Old 06-04-20, 07:18 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Is the compressor running continually except when the unit goes through a defrost cycle?
During defrost the compressor and both fans turn off.
If yes then you may have clogged the evaporator coil solid with frost/ice.
Remove the rear panel in the freezer and check the evaporator coils.
OR
Try forcing a defrost cycle a couple times.

Also is the condenser/compressor fan running?
Both the evaporator and the condenser fans should be on when the compressor is on.

Below is info on this unit.
The wiring diagram has info on how to force a defrost.
Frigidaire Manual Search Results

Old 06-04-20, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Depending on the humidity level..... the ice can get quite thick on the evaporator coil and it may take several auto defrosts to clean off all the ice.

Sometimes the easiest way to clean it is to shut the unit down for 24 hours.
Of course this depends if you have an alternate place to store the cold food.

Old 06-04-20, 02:14 PM
B
Thanks PJmax and manden. I forced the defrost several times. Later, I opened up the back of the freezer and the coils had no ice and no frost. I tried attaching a photo. Both the evaporative fan and condenser fan are running. I did remove a good amount of dust, etc from the coils underneath. I just checked the drip pan and there was some water in it. So I guess I will let it run a few days and see what happens.

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-20, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Looks good. Let us know how you make out.

Old 06-05-20, 05:49 AM
B
Freezer temp was again at 14 degrees at 10pm last night, same at 7am today. Refrigerator section was 37 degrees. It was running at this point, probably ran all night (?). I backed off the refrigerator temp control a little and it stopped running. When I checked an hour later, not running, refrigerator was at 38 and freezer at 30. FYI, I have six one gallon water bottles in freezer in lieu of food, so something is in there. I suspect this means the freezer is blowing at 14 degrees when running, which obviously is not sufficient. I can open up the freezer again and look at the coils while it is running and see what that tells me. However, the circumstances seem to indicate low refrigerant, would you agree? Or are there any components you would recommend I test? The unit is 8 years old.

Old 06-05-20, 05:57 AM
M
Yes check the coils.
They should have a fairly even coating of frost.
If there is frost in just one area usually were the freon enters the coils then it is a sealed system problem and probably not worth fixing.

Note it is important that yo do not do this shortly after a defrost cycle as you could get an incorrect diagnosis.

beamhillrd voted this post useful.
Old 06-05-20, 09:52 AM
B
Not a lot of frost on the coils, the ones at the bottom did not seem to have any frost. I will try to post photos. I opened up back of freezer and let run with fan removed a couple hours. Seemed to run the full time. Did not seem to cycle to defrost during this time. I wondered about the defrost thermometer failing being a problem, but since it did not cycle to defrost, this is probably not the cause (?); do you agree? Basically thinking it is a Freon issue. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 06-05-20, 10:39 AM
M
Unfortunately I agree with you that it looks like a freon/sealed system problem.
s long as you are sure that the compressor was running, usually you can hear it and it should be vibrating.

The dropped thermal cutoff would not affect the frost on the coils when cooling it only comes into play during defrost.

The fan not being in place could affect the cooling ofcthe unit but should not have much effect on the frost on the coils in this instance.

Old 06-05-20, 11:07 AM
B
OK, it all points to the sealed system. Thank you all for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: