Refrigerator intermittent buzzing - Starter Relay or Compressor

Old 06-30-20, 10:22 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator intermittent buzzing - Starter Relay or Compressor

I have an Amana ASD2626HEQ side by side refirigerator. A couple days ago it started buzzing in back of the frig for about 8 seconds on a regular basis, and just recently it stopped cooling. After the 8 - 10 seconds of buzzing stops with a "click", the compressor is not working and cooling.

I tested the compressor with a multimeter and it seems to have the right resistance between the three prongs. The starter relay does not rattle, and also shows resistance. I'm not sure what else to test. When I plug it in it will sometimes start the compressor. I let it start and cool the unit completely, and then later I noticed the buzzing and the compressor not kicking in. Video of buzzing and failure to start: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mFDoUaa4D14npmUM6

Since I can't narrow down the problem, I was wondering if someone could give some input as to whether the starter relay or the compressor will fail only occasionally, as opposed to typically failing completely?

If the starter relay normally doesn't fail intermittently, but compressors will fail like this then I realize I need to replace the unit. BTW, I'm fairly confident the buzzing is from the area of the compressor/relay and I know the compressor doesn't function after the 8 or so seconds of buzzing. Compressor always seems warm but not sure if that is just residual heat from a long time ago, or if it is heating up during the buzzing.

Thanks for any insight as to the source of the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-20, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 847 Votes on 794 Posts
Your problem may just be the start capacitor. I'd get and change both.
WP65889-4 capacitor
W10613606 start relay

The Sears link is the parts breakdown for your fridge. Parts listed under the compressor tab.
You can use the part numbers to search for online retailers.
This exact kit is listed as not available. Look down the page for others.... Relay/cap kit
Sears Parts Direct

Old 07-01-20, 09:34 PM
K
Thanks. I ordered a starter relay and capacitor kit. I agree that it's worth to at least try replacing these first. I would feel more confident these parts were the problem if the multimeter testing or the rattle test confirmed a problem.

Old 07-01-20, 10:51 PM
Group Moderator
If your meter checks capacitors..... check yours. It should be 15 mfd.

Old 07-03-20, 05:02 PM
K
Unfortunately the starter relay and capacitor were't the issue. I just received new parts and same problem. Just a buzz for 8 or so second and shutdown without compressor ever starting. Only difference is that I could smell a little burning smell from the starter relay after it failed to start this time.

It's time to start looking for a replacement refrigerator.

Old 07-03-20, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
That's strange. The motor windings checked ok.
That would leave a frozen motor. Not very common.

Old 07-10-20, 06:54 AM
K
Yeah, compressor windings checked out ok for resistance.

I was disappointed the starter relay wasn't the issue but glad to learn about these easy refrigerator diagnostics checks. Even though it didn't help me, I'd recommend DIYer's, with a similar problem, to get a starter relay and capacitor online. It's easy next day delivery for the part and much cheaper than calling repair tech.