Refrigerator/freezer not working

Old 07-08-20, 05:01 AM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Refrigerator/freezer not working

Monday morning I tried to get some ice cubes from my freezer and my finger went through the cube, which was not yet frozen. The ice cube tray was put in there Sunday afternoon. So I cleaned the coil in the back and the fan was running. Then I looked at the fan in the freezer and it was not running. A appliance repairman told me it sounds like the fan is bad, so I ordered a new one that should arrive today. However, this morning when I looked in the freezer the fan was running again and the temps feel normal. What does that tell me? Thanks.

Rich

Old 07-08-20, 06:06 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Does not tell me much.
When the fan was not running was the compressor running?
Usually you can hear the compressor but should also be able to feel it vibrating.
Usually the freezer fan, compressor and the condenser/compressor fan are all on at the same time.
Since the condenser fan was on and the evaporator/freezer fan was not it may well be that the fan is going bad.
Would be nice to know if the compressor was also on.

A make and model number would be helpful.

Old 07-08-20, 06:43 AM
E
Yes, the compressor was running as was the fan down by the coil. I took apart the housing where the evaporator fan is and it was not running at all but now it is. The fridge is a Frigidaire 20.5 cu.in. with top freezer that I bought in Jan. 2015, so it's not very old. The model number is LFHT2131QP that I bought at Lowes. Now it SEEMS to be doing fine but I have to go get a thermometer to see what the temps are. The new fan should be here today and if someone can tell me the problem is with the evaporator fan I will change it. Thanks.

Old 07-08-20, 07:01 AM
M
I cannot say for sure either way but it is the most likely cause.

Below is info on this unit. You need the last 2 digits to get the correct info.
Frigidaire Manual Search Results

Old 07-08-20, 08:04 AM
E
Thanks for the info, but the links you sent me don't work. LFHT2131QPO is my unit but whatever I click on it only comes back to the original page. Thank anyway.

Old 07-08-20, 09:11 AM
M
Old 07-08-20, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
The link is working correctly. When it opens it should be on a Frigidaire service page.
Go all the way to the bottom and click that link. It will send the link to your download in your computer.

Tech data (pdf)

Old 07-08-20, 09:57 AM
E
I just got back from Lowes with a fridge/freezer thermometer and after only about 5 minutes the temp was down to 10 degrees. Now I don't know if I want to replace the fan which just arrived or leave well enough alone until and if it shuts down again. Thanks for all your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: