Unable to remove water filter from LG fridge

Old 07-10-20, 10:55 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unable to remove water filter from LG fridge

I feel like such an idiot, but I cannot remove the LT1000P water filter from my LG LFXC22526S

It should be a simple turn counterclockwise and then pull out, but it's just not coming out. It turns counterclockwise no problem, but it just won't come out.

I don't want to pull too hard (which may be the solution) as I of course don't want to break anything.

Could there be something obvious that I'm not doing right?

I've watched countless videos and it should be as simple as I think it is. For example: https://youtu.be/2e5qE5FvUm0?t=51

The fridge is only 6 months old and this is the first filter change (so it's not as if it's old and been there for years and is perhaps stuck).

Thank you for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-20, 06:48 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
If your 100% sure it's been screwed out all the way a simple wiggle and pulling it straight down and it should just fall out.
Your did shut off the water supply first, right?

Old 07-11-20, 04:12 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
You are not the only one with that problem. I've been struggling with the problem for four years now. And every time its a PITA.
I've tried everything from filing down the tits to Vaseline. What I found to be the best but not great method...slip butter knife along the inside edge and try to lift the tap up while twisting the cartridge. Not easy. I actually had to use wrench the last time.
It's piss poor design and it's used in most models. And using OEM or third party units does not make a difference.
If you were to look back several years in this forum you'd see my post and complaints about these cartridges.

Old 07-11-20, 07:00 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So late last night I ended up following the inx. in one of the videos a little better, and I removed the top shelf (even though it didn't appear to be hindering anything).

After removing the top shelf, the plastic cover did in fact tilt down a bit more, though the filter itself didn't tilt down any further.

I was then able to (very easily), twist and remove the filter!

Perhaps there is something being blocked (or whatever) if the plastic cover isn't quite all the way down, causing the filter to not pull out?

Old 07-11-20, 11:05 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Glad you got it out. I've emptied my fridge of everything including shelves and still need a wrench.