Dishwasher Not Cleaning

Old 10-01-20, 05:59 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher Not Cleaning

We have a Whirlpool dishwasher that seems to run, but when the cycles are completed, the dishes are not clean. My suspicion is that there's not enough water pressure to adequately spray the dishes during the wash cycle. The incoming water valve is open wide.

I've removed the internal parts and cleaned them to ensure there are no blockages in the internal water channels. I've also checked the food grinder in the bottom. All seems clean.

After I did these things, it seemed like it worked for a few days, then back to not cleaning.

Any ideas on anything else to check?

Thanks.

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-20, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
It always helps to post the model number so that we know what you have and can sometimes offer more pertinent information.

How old is the washer ?
It's very important for the drain line to be properly oriented. The drain line needs to be fastened directly under the countertop to form a big loop. This keeps the waste from going back into the washer. You may need to check the drain line for a possible clog.

whdyck voted this post useful.
Old 10-01-20, 06:38 PM
W
Model is GU3200XTVY2. Not sure how old it is, since it was here when we moved in four years ago.

I"ll check the drain line.

Thanks.

Wayne

Old 10-02-20, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
After a wash cycle is finished and you open it does hot air come out? Water needs to be hot to clean. If drain line is right see if it steams up your glasses after you open it.

whdyck voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-20, 06:17 AM
W
Water needs to be hot to clean.
Are you suggesting that it might be a faulty heating element? We've noticed that the poor cleaning seems to have been somewhat intermittent. Can a heating element be flaky as it's dying?

As for the suggestion by PJmax, I checked the drain line and it is indeed oriented correctly, as described and depicted above.

We'll run another load today to see if the water is steaming hot during the wash cycle.

Thanks.

Wayne

Old 10-04-20, 07:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
A dishwasher is not a water heater, although some will boost the water temperature. You should always run the hot water at the sink until you get hot water before starting the dishwasher cycle. That way the dishwasher will have the hottest water available on the first cycle.