Samsung Refrigerator Burning Smell and Noise But Still Cooling

Old 10-14-20, 07:53 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Samsung Refrigerator Burning Smell and Noise But Still Cooling

Guys I have a weird one. Could really use some advice.

I have a 6 year old Samsung french door refrigerator. The ice maker has always had sporadic problems icing up. Same with the condenser coil. But for the last year or so it was relatively error free. Last week the ice make froze up and I cleared out the ice. Worked fine.

Today my kids reported that the fridge started making a humming noise and emitted a burning smell. I confirmed the smell when I got home. Coming from vicinity of the ice maker. I do not smell it in the freezer compartment.

Here is the weird part: the fridge is still cooling. Blowing air from the rear. The freezer is still cold. But when I shut the French doors the humming sound starts. This is NOT the same sound as the clicking of the fan against ice buildup on the condenser coil. Iím very familiar with that sound. This humming sounds more like a motor. It only starts when the doors are closed. Which points to condenser motor right? But if so, how is the fridge still cooling even when the French doors are kept cracked open?

Iím keeping the doors cracked open so as not to burn anything out. Itís keeping things cool enough in the sealed freezer. I donít want to turn off the fridge because I donít have anywhere to move the frozen food but I hate to leave it with the door cracked all night. Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-20, 08:02 PM
M
I should add that Iíve obviously turned the ice maker off using the control panel. Thatís where the humming and burning smell seem to come from. But even with the ice maker turned off, the hum starts the moment I close the French doors.

And the fridge is definitely still running even though the doors are cracked open. I hear a faint ďrunning noiseĒ from the fridge and I can feel a very slight vibration. Itís just when I close the doors the audible humming noise starts.

Old 10-14-20, 11:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
You didn't leave the model number but most of those Samsungs use DC fan motors. One supplies the fridge and one supplies the freezer. The fans only run when the doors are closed. They could easily leave a burned smell if they are going bad.

Inside the fridge and freezer the coils are evaporators and those are evaporator fans.
The coil under the fridge by the compressor(s) is the condenser. There is a fan there too.
The compressor(s) will run if the system is calling for cooling.... even with the doors open.

Old 10-15-20, 05:53 AM
M
Thanks for the response. To be honest, Iím not exactly clear on what you said.

My model number is RF28HFEDBSR.

I went ahead and removed the interior back panel of the fridge last night to expose the coils. They were completely covered in frost, but there was not a big buildup of ice against the fan as has happened in the past. But I left the fridge off for a couple hours until the frost melted, then put it back together and turned it back on. When I closed the French doors, no more noise. And as of this morning it is working although I never turned the ice maker back on.

So appears that defrosting the fridge fixed the issue for now, although it doesnít appear to be have been the same issue as Iíve had in the past.

So are you saying there is a different fan located in the freezer that might have frozen up or is going bad? Is that why the burning smell was coming from the ice maker area? I didnít smell it in the freezer area. I also didnít smell it when I removed the interior back panel from the fridge compartment.

Iím more in curiosity mode now. Iíve gotten 6 years out of this fridge and this latest problem indicates to me that it may on its last legs. But if I can buy even a week or two to get a new fridge thatís great. The current inventory and prices at stores is horrific - I guess due to the virus.

Last edited by mirak; 10-15-20 at 06:35 AM.