Kenmore HE3 washer JACK-hammering my pipes

Old 10-16-20, 10:59 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore HE3 washer JACK-hammering my pipes

I have a Kenmore HE3 front load washer. It works fine except for one problem. At least once per load (and sometimes more than once), the copper pipes that connect to the supply hose vibrate in a sustained manner that sounds like a jack hammer. This is above and beyond typical water hammer.

It only happens when we run a cold and/or warm water load, not with hot water. I have had hammer arrestors since I purchased the machine about 15 years ago. I thought maybe the cold water arrestor failed, so I swapped the hot and cold arrestors and ran cold water loads, but the problem persists. I installed a new arrestor on the cold side, but no improvement. I tried reducing the water going into the machine by closing down a supply valve going to the laundry room, but no improvement. (It's a quarter turn type valve, and I closed it down until I could hear a decent reduction in the flow of water going into the machine).

It does not happen when the machine calls for water at the beginning of a wash, when the first cycle is programmed to call and shut off water every 10 seconds or so, as the clothes are wetted and turned. The jack-hammering happens later in the wash when the machine is calling for water to rinse/spin. And even though the pipes are hammering, I can see the water gushing into the drum. In other words, it looks like the noise is not being caused by a sudden turning off of water supply, like you'd expect to cause the hammering.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before? Any diagnostic or treatment help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-20, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Caused by washer but most likely a loose pipe in wall. Can you trace the sound? Maybe a stick on wall and other end in ear.