Dishwasher leaking from under door

Old 11-01-20, 09:21 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dishwasher leaking from under door

I have a GE GSD3960L00SS dishwasher. It was jutting out so I had to pull it out, install new shims on the underside of the counter, and affix it to them. I took off the panel under the door before I pulled it out because I didn't know what I was doing and a video said to do that. Reinstalling the panel was hard for me. I had a hard time getting it to be flush with the dishwasher. But it seems that it's on there all the way.

I did a small load of dishes. All were mounted on the bottom rack. I used the "light wash" setting and no heat dry or anything. Now there is a leak, apparently from the bottom of the door. Please the the video below.

All of the videos I've seen say that the gasket is the likely culprit. But I wasn't really having this problem before. Every now and then soap suds would come out, but I figured that was from using the wrong kind of sap. I don't recall having had any problems with the Cascade packets that I'm using now. I've never seen it stream down like it is in the video.

Also, I thought I might have damaged/loosened some connections by pulling it out. I certainly pulled it out farther than a couple of inches. But I did not see any puddles of water when I shined a flashlight under there.

Any idea as to what the problem is?

It is really frustrating that, in fixing one problem, another arises.

Thank you.

https://youtu.be/VvEiLfwx2ds

Old 11-01-20, 09:47 AM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
Tony, how old is this unit?
When you put the shims under the counter did you level the unit? I don't remember if these are self leveling or not.
Yes, it seems the gasket is not seating properly against the door/or face of unit.
Also check that the leak is not coming from the overflow check valve.

Old 11-01-20, 09:58 AM
T
This unit could be as sold as the condo itself, i.e., 13 years.

No I did not level it and I don't know what that means.

I don't know what the overflow check valve is. To the extent it is relevant, I've noticed that, after I run the dishwasher, I still see some water on the bottom near the grill in the middle of the dishwasher. The grill that is right behind the bar that spins around. Don't know if that is common or not.

Old 11-01-20, 10:20 AM
If the dishwasher is tilted towards the front then it will leak. It needs to be level. Lookup "how to level a dishwasher".
Shim it if you need to.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+le...05ef934f899960

Old 11-01-20, 02:33 PM
T
If anything, it was titled toward the back. In any event, the level was off so I have to level it up. Thanks for that tip. We'll see what happens the next time I run it.

Old 11-02-20, 08:25 PM
T
Still leaking

Unfortunately, leveling it didn't help. Please see this video. It'll give you a better idea as to what the problem may be. I stopped the dishwasher during a cycle so you can see the water build up. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/kqXJIVluzHc

P.S. When I get close to the dishwasher door while it's running, it seems to smell a little bit like burning rubber. I don't recall having smelled that smell before, though I don't recall having gotten that close to the door during the cycle either.

Old 11-03-20, 05:32 AM
Did you check for any cracks in the gasket? It certainly appears that the door gasket is not seating tight against the unit. Is there any chance that the leak might be coming from the inlet valve and it's traveling along the door bottom to appear as a bad gasket? But I guess you would see water in more places.
Tony, having struggled with leaking dishwashers in the past I know how frustrating it can be. I would hate to give up on this, if only because my curiosity says there must be a reason, but at 13 years old maybe you may want to consider a new unit rather than fool with this. At this point remove the gasket, inspect it. If it looks good reinstall. I don't think the cost of a new gasket is worth it on that unit. Sorry that's all I got.

Old 11-03-20, 09:33 AM
T
Remember that the gasket wasn't the problem before. I rarely ever had a leak until it I repositioned it after it started jutting out.

I was assuming that maybe something was blocking the door from closing all the way. But I don't see that there is.

Do you think that too much water is building up in the dishwasher when I run it? Please take a second look at the last video. If so, do you think replacing a drain (or some such thing) in the dishwasher would help?

Please look at the attached images. Water usually builds up around the "cage" in the center after washes and takes forever to drain, and never really drains completely. I'm thinking that maybe the gasket is off a little bit because of the new position of the dishwasher and now it cannot handle this unduly large volume of water. Is there some drain under that cage that can he cleaned out or replaced?

Alternatively, the other picture shows what looks to be some type of drain in the back of the dishwasher. Same question: Can you clean or replace it and, if so, do you think it would help lower the water volume?

Thanks.

Old 11-03-20, 09:39 AM
It could possibly be a partially clogged drain. You should be able to remove the screen and clean the drain area.
Does the sink tend to drain slowly or do you get any water in the sink when DW is draining? I doubt moving the the unit had any affect on the door and gasket.

Old 11-03-20, 10:17 AM
T
No, I don't get any water in the kitchen sink when the dishwasher is running. And, no, the kitchen sink does not drain slowly.

So, you recommend removing the screen, looking for a drain, and cleaning it?

Also, what about the circular part in the back which also looks like a drain? I believe it is called "piston and nut."

Old 11-03-20, 10:24 AM
Yes.
Do have the owners manual? If not get the model and do search on Google. Download the manual and see what kind of maintenance is suggested.

Edit...One thing that bothers me is that one of your pics shows what looks like suds. There should be no suds in the tub.

Old 11-03-20, 02:58 PM
T
Are you talking about those two dark hex heads on top of the screen? Those are the screws/bolts that hold those screens/covers in place.

The last time I looked for a manual it didn't seem to have any info about maintenance but I'll look again.

Old 11-03-20, 04:26 PM
Yes, Undo those and clean them out.

Old 11-03-20, 09:00 PM
T
Drain/outlet doesn't seemed clogged

Take a look at this vid. It doesn't seemed clogged, and it is apparently normal for there to be some water there. Perhaps this is a bit too much. Does this give you any ideas? Would you recommend taking a wet vac to it? I'm afraid that I'll suck out a part or something.

https://youtu.be/aPxPzg0D1QE

Also, here's a link to the manuals:

https://www.geapplianceparts.com/sto...y/GSD3960L00SS

One thing I saw in the owner's manual is that suds are not supposed to build up in the tub. So the detergent I'm using, Cascade Complete packets, may be a part of the problem. But the dishwasher is supposed to be compatible with Cascade, so who knows.

Old 11-03-20, 09:39 PM
T
Also, I just removed the piston and nut (the "drain" way in the back) and I really didn't see anything. Looked clean. I wiped what I could with a paper towel but I highly doubt that's the culprit.

Old 11-04-20, 05:08 AM
Yes water to be in the drain sections is normal. And I agree it looks clean.
An an older unit we had my wife changed brands and it helped. So in some cases the detergent can make a difference.
Have you tried running a cycle without any detergent with an empty tub (no dishes)?
Get a mirror and as it's running (especially as it drains) put it under the door section and look at where it starts to leak.
Did you get the chance to inspect the gasket very closely? I'm thinking that maybe the hot water might open up a crack.
It just dawned on me. Check the baffles at the doors.
Take look at this :
https://www.appliancepartspros.com/r...s-leaking.html

Old 11-04-20, 05:13 AM
I just checked out the video myself. Very easy fix. Now looking back at you earlier video I should've guessed that the leaks seemed to start at the corners. I'm betting this is the problem and fix.

Old 11-04-20, 05:40 AM
T
All right, I'll give it a shot. They looked kind of old. Once I install the new ones I'll let you know how it went.

Old 11-07-20, 05:44 PM
T
It's still leaking from the two bottom corners after changing the baffles. I opened the door during the cycle and noticed that there's still a lot of water and suds in the tub. Is this common? Should there ever be suds in the dishwasher? I could change the gasket I suppose, but what difference would it make if I keep getting this build up of water and suds? Any more ideas? Thanks.

https://youtu.be/1xW9ZUcNknk

Old 11-08-20, 08:22 AM
NO you should not any suds! I don't understand how suds are forming, except maybe if air being sucked in a stream. None of those automatic dishwasher detergent are made to form suds.
I'm really surprised the baffles do not solve your problem.
On the left side inside the front is the overflow valve. I'm now switching back to my thought that is where the problem lies. I had a unit that for whatever reason I could not stop leaking from the location, I replaced it and tried several gaskets and even makeshift solutions. None worked. Remove and inspect and replace.
If your game, remove the gasket complete and give a very close inspection. Run a full cycle without dishes or detergent.
This is becoming personal. lol

Old 11-08-20, 09:16 AM
T
When you say overflow valve, are you talking about something under the dishwasher or inside of it?

Old 11-08-20, 10:02 AM
It's usually located in the inside front corner on the left or right side. In my case it leaked and just dripped down, it did not follow the door length. Before you remove it look at the door gasket first.

Old 11-08-20, 10:16 AM
T
Let me shoot a video so I can show you what I have in there.

Old 11-08-20, 10:26 AM
T
Here's the link. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/ynO6PiKJZfU

Old 11-08-20, 10:41 AM
Yes that is the float valve or overflow valve. It might be sticking.
It looks like that vent in the door should snap off. But I find it had to think that water could be entering that high up and leak at the bottom and also not short out the electronics in the panel.

Old 11-08-20, 10:53 AM
At this point the bottom door gasket should be replaced.

I did a GOOGLE search

"GE GSD3960L00SS dishwasher leaks at bottom"

Look at some of these for details on how to replace the bottom door gasket

Old 11-08-20, 11:16 AM
T
So, just to be clear, you think they bottom door gasket is more likely to be the problem than the float valve? If that is the case, does that explain they build up of suds and water shown in the videos I uploaded? Thanks.

Old 11-08-20, 11:23 AM
T
Another clarifying question is, Are you referring to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOYQUYaPUvQ

Or are you talking about the gasket itself. That is, the flexible thing that goes between the door and the outside of the tub?

Old 11-08-20, 01:22 PM
Yes the flexible rubber gasket

Old 11-08-20, 04:37 PM
T
I took the gasket off and inspected it. A little old but didn't detect any obvious problems. I also noticed that there wasn't a "gasket insert" in the middle of the bottom of the door. See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9icusOldww

If a buy a new gasket and gasket insert, which would I install first? Could I install the gasket and put the gasket insert in at the end, which seems like the easiest way to do it. I'm just talking about sticking the gasket insert in like he did in the video.

Old 11-08-20, 05:32 PM
The gasket would go in first then the gasket insert. There's another video on how to slip on the gasket itself, but that requires removing the door. Not hard but a pita.
Boy I wish I was there with you. I'd like to see 1st hand what's going on.

Tony how much have you spent so far? I realize gaskets, baffles and overflow valves are not real expensive, but at what point do you draw the line at putting in money on a 13 year old machine. All things being equal you've gotten it's life span and then some. Average lifespan for most appliances is 7 to 10 years. Plus all the work you're putting into it.

Old 11-08-20, 06:26 PM
T
"There's another video on how to slip on the gasket itself, but that requires removing the door. Not hard but a pita."

The two videos I've seen don't require removing the door to put on the gasket or the gasket insert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLnpFz_qesA&t=213s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9icusOldww

So, can I buy these two parts and put them on w/o removing the door? It totally seems like I can.

To answer your other question, I've put about $60 into it. That'll go up to $150ish if I get the gasket and gasket insert. Those would be the last things I would try, for sure.

I'll admit that it's a puzzle that I'm zealous about solving.

Old 11-08-20, 06:33 PM
How about getting a new machine and then on your spare time try to fix this one? At $150 or so I'm not so sure it's worth it. Consider all the time your spending.
Average price of new DW is $350 to $500. That additional monies you're going to spend will pay for the tax on new machine. On a machine that age I wouldn't throw good money after bad. Just my opinion.

Old 11-08-20, 06:42 PM
T
Totally agree and it doesn't make a lot of economic sense for me to try to change the gasket and gasket insert to see if they work. But, again, it's become a challenge at this point. That's why I need to know whether you think I can put the gasket and gasket insert on w/o taking off the door. Thanks again.

Old 11-08-20, 08:01 PM
From what I see you must remove the door. From the video's I've seen.

Old 11-09-20, 06:43 AM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
Hard to tell from the video if there is too much water left in the unit.

Have you checked the piston and nut Item 564 in the Body Parts.

Old 11-09-20, 11:51 AM
T
Hard to tell from the video if there is too much water left in the unit.

Have you checked the piston and nut Item 564 in the Body Parts.

I did not see a problem with the piston and nut. Looked clean. But they are cheap so I am going to replace it. I'm also going to get a gasket insert (but not a new gasket--can't afford it).

Finally, I'm going to try some powder detergent: either the packs but without the blue/green "all in one" gel or just regular powder (but not adding too much).

If these "repairs" don't work, I'm going to buy a new dishwasher.

Old 11-09-20, 02:53 PM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
My personal choice is the powder. It may be the old fashioned and probably the lowest profit margin for the manufacturer but does the best job with the fewest problems.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 11-09-20, 04:37 PM
I'm also going to get a gasket insert (but not a new gasket--can't afford it).
Tony, the gasket insert is fine but the gasket is the most important part. If you're not going to replace that then don't bother with the insert. The insert just holds the gasket in place. I doubt that is in fact the problem. It's leaking from the end points not the middle.

Old 11-09-20, 05:19 PM
T
OK. I thought the gasket insert was important. I can always return it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: