Freezer not holding temp

Old 11-24-20, 12:51 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Freezer not holding temp

I have a 4 year old Kitchenaid refrigerator and the freezer is not holding temp. Model KRFF 305EBS00. We had a power outage a few days ago and i ran the frig on my Honda 2000 watt generator for about 24 hours.

The main part of the frig (it's a french door style) holds temp at 38, but the freezer, which is set to hold at 0, varies and is up as high as 10.

Any advice?

Thanks

Old 11-24-20, 11:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Could be a thermistor/temp sensor has gone bad or a damper getting stuck.
These are not easy fridges to diagnose and repair.
The pdf file down below is the tech sheet for your unit.
Put the fridge in diagnostic mode and check the thermistors and dampers.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
W10544193-revA.pdf (127.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-25-20, 07:46 AM
A
Thanks for the tech sheet, PJmax. The thermistors and dampers seem to working properly... i'll continue to monitor...

Old 11-26-20, 05:55 AM
A
I wonder if this is another clue... We have a coffee pot on the outlet next to the frig and, since it ran on the generator, will not keep proper time. Could both appliances somehow changed from 60hz to 50hz? Would this confuse the frig?

Is there a factory reset on the frig?

Old 11-26-20, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
That's strange with the coffee pot. The clock circuit is very basic and usually uses the power line frequency to hold accuracy.

The reset for the fridge is to unplug it for several minutes. Maybe give it 5 minutes.

Old 11-30-20, 08:25 AM
A
The power off reset did not work.

I apologize for being a bit dense, but the tech sheet you sent does not have a diagnostic mode. There is a Programming Mode and Service Test Mode. After reading the Programming Mode instructions, it seems there needs to be more info on how to program it. Not sure i want to start monkeying with that...

When i 'm in the Service Test Mode i can test the damper and hear it move so i think that's OK. When i test the thermistors i think i need to have a voltmeter across something as i toggle it off and on, but i don't know where to test.

Anyway, i may just replace the freezer thermistor. Does a bad thermistor cause varying temps or will it just work or not work? Do my symptoms indicate that is the likely culprit?

Thanks again for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: