Solved/workaround - Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher - Making it work OK

Old 11-30-20, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Solved/workaround - Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher - Making it work OK

Just in case this helps someone out there... This I'll call a workaround and perhaps a tip.

My dishwasher is a Frigidaire Gallery lgid2475qf3a. I inherited it with the house I bought. (Yes, thank you. I appreciate your sympathy and condolences. ;-)

Anyway, my experience with this was awful/terrible/pathetic, I daydreamed of running it over with a monster truck. Then I made a discovery. If you run cleaner through it monthly, you can *almost* make it function like a good dishwasher. (Let me compare this to the low-to-medium priced Kenmore dishwasher in my previous house, which cleaned pretty well, and I never *HAD* to clean it to make it work properly. That's how it should be.)

As a noted cheapskate, I have discovered that using Iron-Out (or other calcium deposit descaler products) is an economical way to clean it, rather than buying things labeled as dishwasher cleaners, which although convenient, you get maybe two cleaners for about five dollars, whereas the big container of Iron-Out costs maybe $12, but it'll clean the dishwasher monthly probably for two years.

What I do:
- NO METAL! Ideally, run the dishwasher empty, but if you want, you can multitask, and run a load of dishes (Dishes only, glass/stoneware/etc., and plastics too, but no metal, let me repeat, NO METAL.
- Per the instructions that came with the dishwasher, stand nearby and listen for the first time the dishwasher drains, roughly ten minutes or so after you start it. (You'll hear water gushing down the drain three times within about a minute's elapsed time.) THEN, open the door and pour some of the cleaner in it. I don't really measure carefully, I'm going to guess I put about a half cup into the dishwasher.
- Hint - Iron Out isn't the greatest smelling thing in the whole world. However, at least with this dishwasher, you don't really smell it as the dishwasher runs, and after the cycle is over. If you decide to try it with some other brand/model dishwasher, I can't guarantee that you may not smell it as you clean your dishwasher. If you're worried, pay more money for a dishwasher cleaner.
- Run the long cycle, perhaps twice when you do it for the first time. And for about a month, this awful dishwasher will do an OK job washing dishes. Then a month later, you'll start noticing it's not washing well, meaning it's time to clean it again.

As I mentioned, my previous dishwashers did an OK job for years and years and didn't need to be cleaned monthly in order to work. Those were good dishwashers. This one, well, it's shiny. I can't think of much else good to say about it. But, until I get the Monster Truck and the replacement dishwasher, I'm able to tolerate this dishwasher by cleaning it monthly.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Old 12-01-20, 08:08 AM
Received 649 Upvotes on 574 Posts
Years back I had a Frigidaire Gallery washer. Don't remember the model. A real piece of junk. I had to fight with the manufacturer and finally got a replacement at no charge. They are made under the ELECTROLUX company of brand names (Electrolux company currently owns Frigidaire, Tappan, Kelvinator and Gibson appliance brands) and is also under the AEG companies including Electrolux, AEG, Anova, Frigidaire, Westinghouse and Zanussi brands.

It's only a brand name but I will never buy another Frigidaire appliance. The name just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The thing is no matter what brand name, if it comes under one of the several major
manufactures they are all made the same and come off the same factory floor. So with that said I'd buy Tappan, or a Kalvinator or a Westinghouse brand unit, but not if they paste on a Frigidaire name on the same unit.

Old 12-02-20, 04:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
@Norm - So you're saying yours was shiny too!

My theory on how such an awful product could be made, is that maybe/perhaps in a perfect world with soft water and frequent cleaning, it can be a good dishwasher (I'll be fair and say glasses come out gleaming and spotless right after running the dishwasher cleaning cycle I've described.) My guess is that it uses really narrow internal water channels to create high water pressure, but in the real world, mineral deposits in water clog those channels up easily. (Just a theory. Again, my previous two dishwashers both worked fine without problems. My post here is to hopefully help people who are stuck with this product (before getting to run it over with a monster truck), to make the best of a bad situation.)

One other important usage tip I forgot to mention, in making lemonade when given this... dishwasher - Be sure the top shelf has been pushed all the way back, to make sure its water channeling pipe presses against the water source that feeds it at the back of the dishwasher. (It's quite easy to just push the tray back without fully making the two water channels meet.) That helps too. (I"m not saying jam it in with a lot of force, just press hard enough to make sure the water channels meet up without a gap.)

And you may as well clean the filter out regularly too. In my case, cleaning the filters didn't solve the poor washing the way running dishwasher cleaner did, but rinsing out the filter only takes a second, you might as well do that too.

Old 12-02-20, 05:11 AM
Received 649 Upvotes on 574 Posts
Over 45 years ago at my first house I installed a Sears dishwasher. No filters. It just worked. What I don't understand is years back there were no filters to clean. It just cleaned the dishes. Now there are all kinds of filters that must be cleaned. Over the years I've installed perhaps 6 to 8 DW'a and each time it gets more and more complicated. They no longer supply the water inlet elbow. You have to buy that as a separate item. You pay more, get less and they don't last as long. And if you complain that the unit does not clean properly what's the first thing they tell you? Are you using a rinse agent, if not you should. Never have needed it and never will use it. Waste of money.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: