Annoying tone coming from LG fridge

Old 12-09-20, 09:53 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Annoying tone coming from LG fridge

Recently got a new LG fridge, and it's emitting a tone many times throughout the day. It's pretty low volume, but audible, and since I'm working from home about 10 feet away, I hear it every time and it's driving me nuts. And now that it's burned into my brain, I pick up on it even if I'm over in the living room with the tv on. I'm just concerned whether it's normal for it to be doing this, or whether something is wrong.

It's a 5-second tone, and they happen randomly, sometimes twice back to back, sometimes separated by 10 or 20 or more minutes. But many times all day long. The tone is actually an E, an E4 to be exact - I've matched it to a tone generator. It seems to be some kind of pump cycling - right at the very end of the 5 seconds, you can hear like a motor winding down type of sound. You could maybe roughly equate it to the sound of a car's fuel pump priming when you turn the key to ON. The only pump I could think of would be the water pumping in new water after someone gets water or ice, but we're hardly using that at all, and like I said, it's just all day long. It's done it about 4 times just since I've been writing this.

Anybody know what this might be, or if it's something I should be worried about?

Old 12-10-20, 12:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
It sounds like you're hearing the compressor.
No pumps in the fridge.

Old 12-10-20, 09:14 AM
J
Is it normal for the compressor to be making this type noise? It's pretty much dead quiet all the time, except for this tone it makes on and off. Just for my knowledge, what is it doing when it makes this noise? Cycling on and off? If so, should it be this often? Is this what's known as short cycling?

Old 12-10-20, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
I don't service many LG's and have not heard any noise on the ones I've worked on.
The compressor and the fans are the only things that would make noise.

Can you tell when your compressor starts ?
I'd imagine it would be louder in the back.
Post the model number.

Old 12-11-20, 05:40 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I have an LG fridge and the only noise I can think of is the noise of ejecting the ice cubes into the holding tray. It is a bit annoying. Try turning off the icemaker and see if the noise stops.

Old 12-11-20, 11:24 PM
J
Was up early today and kept track for a while of every time it made the sound:
5:47
5:59
6:06 (twice back to back)
6:21
6:28
6:30
6:44
6:50
6:56
7:09
7:15 (twice back to back)
7:31
7:37
7:43
7:55
8:02 (twice back to back)
8:13
8:18
8:24
8:32
8:45
8:51
9:08

Again, it always lasts for just 5 seconds, and it's a tone, but the last 1/2 second it sounds like a motor winding down type of a sound. I assumed I'd be able to hear better from the back, so I pulled out the fridge and got behind it and listened. I could hear what I guess is the compressor down at the bottom of the unit humming along very quietly, and what I believe is freon moving through the pipes. And then I heard the sound, but it wasn't louder back there, it was actually harder to hear. So I went around front and opened both doors, took out one of the crisper drawers and waited with my head inside for it to repeat. I was thinking it might be a fan kicking on to push cold air from the bottom freezer section into the fridge section? Does that sound possible? So anyway, I think I sat there for 10 minutes waiting and it never did it again. I had something else I had to do, so gave up. I'll try again soon. This is driving me insane.

Oh, the model number is LFXC22526S.

Last edited by jd thomas; 12-11-20 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add some information
Old 12-11-20, 11:33 PM
J
Thanks, but it's not the sound of ice dropping. We aren't really using much ice, but I've heard fresh ice cubes drop a few times. It's also not new water moving into the ice maker. This is a 5-second tone, like somebody playing a tone on a keyboard (it's an E) with that "motor or gears winding down" type sound for the last 1/2 second.

And this is a brand new fridge, just about two weeks old, so everything is pristine clean, there's no dust buildup or anything that could be playing a part here.

Old 12-12-20, 12:00 AM
J
I have an LG fridge and the only noise I can think of is the noise of ejecting the ice cubes into the holding tray. It is a bit annoying. Try turning off the icemaker and see if the noise stops.
maarkr, I just reread what you wrote and I guess you weren't referring to the sound of ice dropping into the bin, but of being pushed out of the maker just before dropping into the bin. But no, I don't think it's that either, because then it would be followed by the rattling sound of the cubes dropping into the bin. And no new ice is being produced throughout this whole thing, because we're not really using ice much at all right now.

Old 12-12-20, 12:20 AM
J
You know, I'm looking in the manual, and I read this before, but discounted it because I thought it was referring to a constant high pitched sound from the compressor. My problem sound isn't constant, and isn't what I'd call "pulsating" either. But maybe my sound is what the manual is referring to??? Still seems weird for it to be doing this though....

Old 12-12-20, 04:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
We have a magic chef fridge that is about 20 years old. It has always been noisy. They said that's normal. After awhile we got used to it. It's always operated fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: