Ice Maker Water Leak

Old 12-23-20, 03:40 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice Maker Water Leak

Make: Frigidaire - Professional Series
Model: PLHS269ZDBB

Whenever I use my refrigerator's water dispenser, water flows from the water dispenser as well as the tube leading to the ice maker.

So essentially, when I press the water dispenser, I get water from two places, the water dispenser, as well as the tube shown in the picture which leads to the ice maker. (I saw this similar post from 4 years ago. It seemed solved, but the solution was not detailed.)

Before I removed the ice maker, it heavily dripped with water when filling its tray and over time there was extensive ice build up in my freezer.

Since water flowed from two places even with the icemaker removed, I assumed this was a Water Valve problem. So I replaced that with OEM part number 242252702. ($66 total)

Wrong...the problem still exists.
Could it be that water will always flow from both places when the ice maker is removed and that when my ice maker is installed my ice maker itself is bad and it is actually the problem? This scenario seems unlikely.

Is there some other malfunctioning part?
Thank you!

Shows icemaker stuck due to the excessive water flows caused when water dispenser used.

Old 12-23-20, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When you see an applicable thread..... link it here.

I'm looking for the tech sheet for your unit. It should be under the fridge either in the back or behind the front kick plate. It'll have service info and wiring diagram on it. The link below has the wiring diagram where I got this excerpt from. There are two diodes in the harness used for valve isolation. They should be in the wiring harness very close to the valve assembly. Unplug the harness from the valves and use an ohmmeter set to diode check to check them for shorts. One will probably show a dead short.
Sears parts direct

You can replace the diodes with 1N4003 type. Basically 200volt 1amp..... 1N4003 diodes

Old 12-28-20, 02:34 PM
C
Thank you PJmax for your welcome and quick reply on Christmas Eve!
I couldn't find my Tech Sheet anywhere on my fridge, but then I found a blue Tech (Service Data) Sheet in my manual. The previous homeowner probably put it there.

Here's my water valve and its wiring.

Based on your excellent description, it looks like this is the wiring harness for the two diodes.

I have diode check mode on my ohmmeter, but I'd like to clarify how to check the two diodes in this case.
I assume I must somehow pry open
the black rectangular harness and check the diodes in there. However I can't get it open using pliers or screwdriver. It seems to be a sealed harness, but I'm not sure.
Or, can I effectively check the two diodes together using the brown connector's two contacts? Please excuse my ignorance.
I did see that Amazon sells that 1N4003 diode. Fairchild brand is 5 pieces for $4.66.
BTW - Here's the link to a similar problem from 4 years ago.https://www.doityourself.com/forum/electric-large-kitchen-home-appliances/569870-frigidaire-fridge-leaking-water-water-dispenser-ice-maker.html
Thanks again PJmax!

Last edited by Chip I.; 12-28-20 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Add link for similar problem from 4 years ago.
Old 12-28-20, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
You can strip the three wires. Two at one end and one at the other end.
Check from the stripped wires. If ones is bad.... cut that black module out.

Old 12-28-20, 05:45 PM
C
I stripped those three wires and it appears both diodes are bad (OL).
But if that's true, wouldn't water have come out the water dispenser while the icemaker was filling up with water? (It didn't do this before.)

Anyway, I'll go ahead and order the diodes, replace them both and see what happens.

Old 12-28-20, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Did you disconnect the single wire from the valve before checking ?
If not....that would create a short to your meter.

Old 12-28-20, 08:48 PM
C
Yes, I unplugged the brown connector beforehand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: