gas cooktop replacement DIY?

Old 01-16-21, 12:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas cooktop replacement DIY?

My current downdraft cooktop doesn't have enough BTU (max 10k). I found one from Lows that has max BTU of 17k. I have a few questions.

Is replacing gas cooktop a DIY? from what I saw from youtube, it seems pretty easy to do.
The 17K BTU will cost $2000. Does 17KBTU have enough fire power? I hate to waste $2000 and end up not having enough fire power.
another other tips about install, selecting gas cooktop are appreciated.

Old 01-16-21, 01:05 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
If you've seen the videos then you are probably a better judge if your up to the challenge. It's certainly not rocket science. You just need to take your time, don't cut corners and follow the manufacturers instructions and you should do well.

Now that the pep talk is out of the way. "Enough" is a very subjective word. Is it 70% more than 10k btu... yes. Is it enough for you... only you can say. There is a similar sized burner on my stove and there are times when I want more. Water can never boil too fast. But, it's noticeably faster than the 10k burners. If you are looking for big wok Asian cooking 17k is nowhere near enough so it's up to you to decide.

Old 01-16-21, 01:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you Pilot Dane. about the BTU, I don't see to find higher BTU gas cooktops from Lowes, Home Depot and Best Buy. Is 17K BTU kind of limit for residential appliances?
Mine is 30 inch downdraft.

Old 01-16-21, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
+/- 22K is about the limit from high end cook tops.
+/- 18K is typical for most cook tops.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: