only broiler comes on

Old 01-26-21, 09:49 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
only broiler comes on

Non Digital turned on to bake only broiler came on bake element replaced just over a year ago an test good 20 yr old worked great until a few minutes ago. Guessing a switch or maybe a sensor. Where should i start what are the most common issues.

Old 01-27-21, 06:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
You do know you never said what appliance you have. You just said "non digital". Telling us specifically what you have will allow us to provide better information. A bad element is the most common problem but it could also be a bad switch, burned connector, a broken or loose wire... Mechanically controlled ovens are pretty simple so there are only a few things that can go wrong.

Old 01-27-21, 10:59 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry bout that Hotpoint 20+ yrs old. 40 inch wide. 3 draws. Im kind of crippled up. This afternoon Im going to get down where I can get the model number and start checking connections. The only thing Ive seen so far is what I believe is a temperature sensor that looks a little crusty.

Old 01-27-21, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,422 Votes on 1,315 Posts
The temp sensors do get a little crusty.
Still need the model number when you find it.

Old 01-27-21, 04:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
If you are crippled up, will you be able to move the stove, get down on the floor, open the back...? The first thing I do when a oven element doesn't work is to stick my head in the oven with a flashlight and give the element a visual inspection. Often a burned out element will have a blobby spot or a hole burned into it. If everything is OK my next step is to unplug it and move it away from the wall. Then I remove the back to get access to the element connections. Then I check the element with a multi meter. Just because it was replaced a year or so ago doesn't mean it can't burn out again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: