Dishwasher stopping after rinse cycle

Old 02-19-21, 08:39 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher stopping after rinse cycle

I need help with a Whirlpool dishwasher model WDF540PADW1. I’ve had it about 5 or 6 years. It stops during use at the same point. When I hit start I can hear it filling and then running (pre-rinsing?). Not sure what that first cycle is called. At some point after the first cycle it will halt. The door for the detergent will open but the pod is either intact still in place, half melted and hanging out of the door or dropped down into the utensil holder below intact, partially melted, or just a little of it left behind. This would indicate to me it’s stopping either at the very beginning or very early in the cleaning cycle. All the lights indicate it’s still functioning but it will sit like that for hours. Sometimes I could hit the start button and it would complete the cleaning cycle. I’ve also tired opening the door and shutting it again firmly with sporadic results. Lately nothing will get it to continue. I can hit cancel and it will empty the washer.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited by Racerx143; 02-19-21 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-20-21, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,412 Votes on 1,306 Posts
I'm looking in to it right now.
Do any lights blink after it pauses ?

Old 02-20-21, 03:39 PM
R
I thought they just stay lit. Just to be sure, I'm going to run it again and make sure. Thanks.

Old 02-22-21, 11:09 AM
R
"Do any lights blink after it pauses ?"

No, They just stay lite as if the unit is still working. Last night I ran it and it paused again with the soap lid open and the pod just sitting in the door. All the cycle lights were lite along with the Start/Resume. I tried jiggling the door, leaning on it, opened and closed it and shut it firmly. Hit Resume but It would not continue. I left it alone and this morning the Start/Resume light was the only thing lit up. All the lights for the different cycles were off but it had never resumed. I closed the soap door and tried it again and when I got home at lunch same thing, soap door open, all the lights lite up. Would not Resume.

Old 02-22-21, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,412 Votes on 1,306 Posts
A very common problem with dishwashers is the heating element or thermostat fails.
Download the pdf tech sheet below. Go down to the "service diagnostics with error code".
Run that and see what pops up.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
W10590887 - Tech Sheet.pdf (1.37 MB, 2 views)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: