LG Washing Machine - No Water

Old 02-23-21, 09:33 AM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question LG Washing Machine - No Water

My LG WM3460CV front loader washer (1.5 years old, out of 1yr warranty), all of sudden, no water is coming into the tub like it used too. I can feel the water flow through the hose from the faucet into the machine, I can hear the sound of water rushing in, I can also see the water going through the detergent container. But there's no water splashing into the tub as it used to. The clothing are slightly damped, as it looks the detergent has been feed into the tub, and the unit runs normally without water like nothings wrong. I checked the pump filter, and it's clean. I ran the LG ThinQ Smart Diagnosis and finds no error. Is there anything else I can check? Please help..

Old 02-23-21, 09:56 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Have you looked at the drain to see if water is exiting while it is in the fill cycle? If water is entering it has to be going somewhere. If no water exiting, then that should narrow your search to the fill side and more likely a valve issue.

Old 02-23-21, 01:55 PM
I
I've looked at the drain, and there isn't any water coming out. So the water is being feed to the detergent container, which is sprayed into the tub, causing the dampness of the clothes. But the valve to spray into the tub isn't working?

I've searched for WM3460CV valve, and there's models one above and below, but not exact. I'll try to locate one and replace it.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-23-21, 03:00 PM
T
The diagram only shows 2 valves, 5220FR2006Z or 5221ER1003S, however both connect to the soap tray assembly. Best to disassemble and take a look at the valves to ensure one of them is the culprit. It might me something as little as one of the wires has worked itself loose, so a new valve might not be needed.

Here's a YT video for disassembly on a similar unit that might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIUF_5MUZIg

itchibahn voted this post useful.
Old 02-23-21, 05:11 PM
I
I watched the video, and I think I got the idea on how to remove the top cover. I will check for connections to the valve. I'll post what I find. You've been a great help. Thanks.

Old 02-25-21, 08:57 AM
I
I got it opened, disconnect/reconnect all connections to the valves, but made no difference.

I noticed that there is no direct hose connection from the valves to the tub, all hoses from the valve goes through the detergent container, then a large hose to the tub. I ran the washer in both CleanTub and Normal cycles, and noticed the warm water level as shown in the photo. I'm assuming the hot water valve is working, and the issue is with the cold water valves.

There's another large hose from tub going to the back of the unit, but not connected to anything. I'm assuming it's a vent...

Scanning the barcode on the valve gave me 5221ER1003STUC99O0036, I can't find exact match, but there are 5221ER1003A... 5221ER1003C..., etc. They look similar, would they work?

Thanks.

Last edited by itchibahn; 02-25-21 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-25-21, 09:23 AM
T
Interesting that all the water for the wash (and rinse) has to pass through the soap tray. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-25-21, 01:40 PM
I
I got the valve ordered, to arrive in a week. Meanwhile, I took some measurements, and all the valves read about 25m Ohm, which should be correct for the coils. But the voltages read only about 7VAC for all valves when running. From YouTube videos, they all read 110-120VAC. Perhaps, the controller board issue rather than valve?

Also, I turned max on the water pressure sensor, and I'm getting more water in the tub, but still not as much as before. Maybe the water pressure sensor not working properly? I'm tempted to order it as well.

Last edited by itchibahn; 02-25-21 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 02:53 PM
T
Here are two listing for the correct valve (according to the parts list and your number) just by googling the part/model no.

https://lgparts.com/item/11833500/LG/5221ER1003S
https://partsdr.com/part/5221er1003s-water-inlet-valve

If I'm reading it correct (verify), they look to be 12v DC valves. In my limited experience this makes sense to me as I think there would be a safety risk passing line voltage to these valves. Set your voltmeter to DC and recheck.

Edit: Just saw your modified post. Not sure how you would check that sensor. If your valves are all operating correctly, I would look to it though.

Old 02-25-21, 04:32 PM
I
I didn't know they're supposed to be DC. I got lucky, was able to cancel the order on time, and reordered from lgparts.com. The valve should arrive next week.

I measured 7.2VDC on each valves, lot less than 12VDC. May be that's preventing the valves to open fully? I guess I'll find out when new valve comes in... Meanwhile, I can now at least do my laundry in small load with the amount of water it gets.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-03-21, 11:56 AM
I
Got new valve in Yesterday, and it's getting much more water, I had to readjust the pressure level to reduce amount of water in the tub. Only thing is that it's filling very slow. So I guess the whole problem was the valve after all. Thanks for all your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: