Upright freezer will not get cold

Old 02-25-21, 07:50 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upright freezer will not get cold

Freezer won’t get gold. Compressor is on and humming for the past 4 days. I have not noticed the compressor shutting off. Just a steady hum. Bottom of compressor feels hot.

I have a Gibson upright freezer Model FV16M4WSFD. Serial No. WB92106289. There aren’t many exposed parts to this freezer. The compressor on the in the rear bottom of the freezer has a sticker with three numbers on it: Compressor No. F303450, Ovderload No. F303330, Relay No. F303329.

There is a small black box right next to the compressor which I think is the called the Cover-Terminal.

I would hope this is a simple fix. If compressor is running and there aren’t many exposed parts. Could it really just be a relay or something with the thermostat line running to the compressor?

I have had this Freezer off and sitting in my breeze way for the past 15yrs. It has been thoroughly cleaned. I do hear a click when turning the thermostat dial on and off. When turning on my freezer for the first time the temperature in my breeze way ranges from 25-35 degrees F. My door has a good seal.

Old 02-25-21, 11:46 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upright freezer will not get cold.
Freezer won't get cold.
Cold! not sure how autocorrect got me twice in the original post above.

Old 02-25-21, 09:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,483 Votes on 1,371 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to look at/check the evaporator coils and see if they are partially frosting.
Your problem sounds like the unit lost its charge.

Old 02-26-21, 03:59 AM
M
Received 162 Votes on 149 Posts
Looks like the shelves are the evaporator.
First confirm that the compressor is running.
You can hear it and should also be able to feel it vibrating.
If the compressor is running and there is not any frost/cooling onthe evaporator/shelves then it is a sealed system problem and probably not worth fixing due to the cost.

It is not uncommon for a fridge/freezer to not work after being left unplugged /off for a long time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: