ID Dishwasher Leak

Old 03-01-21, 03:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
ID Dishwasher Leak

Hey Gang

I have a Kenmore Model 665.15693K2211 dishwasher. I'm really trying to identify what's leaking here without pulling the unit from the cabinet first. I'd rather source the part first.

The issue is that it's really cramped under there. Does this appear to be coming from the pump? Maybe the diverter motor?

And that takes me to the other thing. Looking at the Kenmore parts lists I see diverter motors and pumps but no associated gaskets. Do they expect people to replace the unit? Unless I'm missing something here?

I think it might just be the shaft grommet on the diverter motor but I'm not sure and I don't see them listed anywhere.

I'd welcome any advice.

Here's the leak:

https://streamable.com/kxyq2p

Here's the unit:

Here'a the parts list I'm working with:

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...shwasher-parts

Old 03-01-21, 11:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
That part is called the diverter motor. Part # W10537869.
It's shown in the pump tab of the Sears link.

The only problem is I can't tell if that exact part is leaking or is it coming from a seal above.
It looks like there is a seal. That seal may be leaking. I don't see it available separately.
It looks to be part of the sump assembly..... WPW10455268.

There are a number of videos showing replacement on you tube.
Replacement video

Old 03-02-21, 06:37 AM
T
I think this is the grommet but I’m not sure it’s the correct one… If it is I’m going to need something to ease the shock of the price of this little rubber washer

WPW10195677 W10195677 Diverter Seal Grommet for Whirlpool... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07MW463VX/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-02-21, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
That is very strange. The parts companies don't even show that seal.
When I search on the parts sites it says discontinued.
The Canadian version of that machine may be different.

Well..... you have two choices..... that seal or the entire sump pan with seal.
Hmmmm..... it's only $8 on amazon us
I don't even know 100% that the seal is bad. I'm using reasonable assumption.

Old 03-02-21, 06:00 PM
T
@PJmax - I had a good discussion with a local parts supplier here. Their position is that Whirlpool does this by design. That (he said) they will discontinue a small wear part like this simple grommet in order to force the owner to purchase a larger component... or a new unit entirely. In this case the guy pointed out that indeed if I buy an entirely new diverter motor it specifically says the rubber grommet is not included. He directed me to the P/N WPW10455268. This is for the entire sump assembly.... This goes for about $150+ up here. Which to say if I want to fix my 7 year old Kenmore dishwasher, essentially I'm expected to pay $150 for a rubber washer.

I found some aftermarket replacements for the grommet here for around $30. Still stupid considering. I'm going to look at Amazon in the US as you suggest. They will mostly ship to Canada and I won't have to wait two months to get it.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-02-21, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
A link to the part on amazon us...... W10195677

Old 03-02-21, 06:57 PM
T
I don't know that the seal is bad either but for $8 .... or in my case $12.... I'm betting this is exactly the issue. If it doesn't fix the leak than I can always get the sump assembly or decide to go with a new unit. It's a bitter pill to spend this much on a repair for a unit that was modestly priced to begin with.

Old 03-02-21, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
I would certainly try changing the seal first. It gets changed from the top.
No need to pull the unit out to replace the seal.

Old 03-02-21, 07:07 PM
T
Totally what I'm thinking....Pulling a dishwasher isn't generally a big deal but I have some very funky mods I needed to make to my cabinets for my poured concrete countertop... Pulling the unit is a giant pain... Working from the top is very much the preferred option

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: