Not DIY but what kind of dryer vent duct here?

Old 03-02-21, 02:45 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not DIY but what kind of dryer vent duct here?

Our electric dryer has stopped heating. I normally try to do things myself, but this is above my ability and pay grade as well as my husband's. I pulled out the dryer and took off the long accordion-type foil vent duct. I don't know why they left it at about 4' long since there's not that much distance between the dryer and the solid duct going into the wall. See photos below that show how the duct goes into the side wall of the laundry room, then runs under the attic stairs and out into the garage and then outside. (Sorry I didn't both moving things in the garage, but you can see the duct coming out from behind the water heater and ladder.)

I caved and called a repairman to come out tomorrow. They are very well trusted in the area, so I don't think they are going to cheat me or anything. I would just like advice on whether I should ask them to put in a solid vent or if in our application we will have to use the accordion style again.

I have read on a few sites that the accordion style can be dangerous and shouldn't be used, but when I look at the periscope-style, I'm not sure it will work here. The two holes are very close but are not even. The dryer hole is 5 inches off the ground and the duct into the wall is about 8 inches off the ground.

The dryer is about 16 years old and we have NEVER cleaned out the ducts, so even if it is a fuse, thermostat, heating element, I am going to ask him to clean them out and put in something new. However, since we were already talking about getting a new washer/dryer, might a different dryer need a different duct? Or should they all be compatible if we get another electric dryer?

I appreciate any advice!

Top Answer

03-02-21, 04:01 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You can't use a periscope there.

If you need to use flex..... it must be metal. Don't use the white vinyl flex.
The link is an interesting approach..... Magvent kit

I've used two adjustable 90's in that type of location. The 90 is 100% adjustable for any angle. You can use one almost straight inline and another to go to the dryer. This picture shows two 90's. One is adjusted straight. You can adjust them both to get the line up perfect.

Old 03-02-21, 03:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You sorta have to have a flexible hose. Most dryer installations don't have enough room behind/beside the dryer to hook up the vent hose. So, the hose is connected while the dryer is out at least part way, then it's pushed back into final position.

Bham45 voted this post useful.
Old 03-02-21, 03:26 PM
B
Oh that makes sense! Now you've got me wondering how you could ever successfully use the periscope type. Hmm...

And I guess if our house didn't burn down in the last 16 years, now that we know that we need to clean out the ducts every year, we should be in better shape. Would you replace that flexible duct every year as well?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-21, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
You can't use a periscope there.

If you need to use flex..... it must be metal. Don't use the white vinyl flex.
The link is an interesting approach..... Magvent kit

I've used two adjustable 90's in that type of location. The 90 is 100% adjustable for any angle. You can use one almost straight inline and another to go to the dryer. This picture shows two 90's. One is adjusted straight. You can adjust them both to get the line up perfect.

Bham45, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-02-21, 04:21 PM
B
I watched the video for the 90-degree magvent--pretty cool! Think that would still work with hole in the wall being about 3 inches higher?

BTW, our handyman friend wants to come out and take a look himself, so I'm trying to cancel the visit with the service company. I'll show our friend the video as I'm sure he'll find it interesting.

Old 03-02-21, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
The MV-90 can handle offsets up to 3 inches from center to center.

Old 03-03-21, 05:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
One thing flex hose is good for is accommodating movement of the dryer. If your dryer stays in place well then a more rigid connection is OK. If your dryer ever walks across the floor with some unbalanced loads then that can pull a rigid connection apart.

Old 03-03-21, 06:19 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
If you must use a flexible duct DO NOT US THOSE FLIMSY FOIL units. They do make a hard flexible semi-rigid type.

Old 03-03-21, 09:10 AM
B
Edited: Handyman friend concurred that semi-rigid was better but didn't know why I ordered an 8 foot one from Home Depot. That's all they had as far as I could see.

Edited again: I found a 2 foot one. I should have just told him to go get what he wants. This will be my third pick-up order at Home Depot; husband will have to return the others.

Last edited by Bham45; 03-03-21 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 10:59 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I'm surprised they sell 2 foot units. My store only sells the 8 foot units.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: