oven control board question

Old 05-09-21, 12:35 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oven control board question

I have a double oven Kenmore that recently had the lower bake element spark out. I replaced the element but it turns out that wasn't the only thing that went wrong. I removed the oven control board and discovered a burn on the card (see below). I've already replaced the oven as the Kenmore oven card (WP5777M251-60) is pricey.

It may be hard to see but in the 2nd image there's a dark area under the 2nd relay on the left down from the top. The area is at the bottom left side of the relay. I am prepared to remove the components and replace as needed but I'm wondering what the solder 'stripes' are for and if this board is really repairable.

Old 05-09-21, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Usually the board is repairable.

In the following thread.... his GE oven used back to back control boards. The blast was so powerful it arced across the boards and rendered the logic board inoperable.
frigidaire-range-control-board-goes-pop.

I have repaired many of those boards that just required board cleanup, new relay(s) and resoldering work. The solder tracks were added to carry more current across the pc board foils. You can clean the board with a toothbrush and alcohol. Thin bare copper wire can be used for board repair.

Old 05-10-21, 08:39 AM
R
This oven also had back-to-back boards but there are no marks on the other board. The stove top elements and upper oven all worked after the lower bake oven burnt out.

If I understand your comment, I can use bare wire to repair the solder track damage. Since I don't know what the pattern looked like, does the final actual pattern matter that much or is a rough outline sufficient?

Old 05-10-21, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
The pattern is not important. Two pieces of #16 should be sufficient.

Old 05-11-21, 02:36 PM
R
Thanks for the clarification Pete. I will try this out.

Old 05-11-21, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Just be sure all the black is removed from the board. That is carbon and voltage will track over it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: