No power to Bosch dishwasher

Old 05-16-21, 03:58 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No power to Bosch dishwasher

Hi all. Dishwasher stopped working. Checked the power coming into the box that powers the device. Should be 240v. Using my multimeter I tested one leg at 120v. The other leg is dead. Tested the two lines together and still just 120 v.

Checked the circuit breaker. neither was tripped. Then tested the power at each breaker. Both of them are sending power out. Just not reaching the dishwasher anymore. I did notice just now the electrician installed two single 15amp breakers whereas I normally see a double pole switch.

Anyway I'm stumped and can only think of a break in the line maybe from a mouse. Am about to call an electrician but figured I'd double check here with the pros!

Thanks.

Old 05-16-21, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,611 Votes on 1,483 Posts
It would be extremely rare to have a household dishwasher running on 240v.
Typically only high end units with high speed heaters use that much power.
Are you sure it's a 240v unit ?

It is possible for there to be a two pole breaker controlling the dishwasher but that doesn't mean it's 240v. You may have a multiwire circuit there using a shared neutral. That breaker may control the dishwasher and the disposer or the dishwasher and something else nearby. Both 120v devices.

Old 05-16-21, 04:47 PM
P
Received 157 Votes on 129 Posts
If this is a typical residential dishwasher it's 120V. If you have 120V between the 2 wires in the box where the dishwasher is connected then it is likely the dishwasher itself is dead.

Old 05-16-21, 05:22 PM
A
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Is there a nearby wall switch (disconnect) turned off? Rare, but sometimes there is one for dishwasher along with separate expected one for the garbage disposer.

Old 05-16-21, 05:55 PM
B
Oh boy. Here I am thinking how smart I've become with this electrical stuff. Assumed bc of how hot they get it had to be 240. Sooo, that explains things alot! You all just saved me time and money on this one. Thank you!!@ will begin troubleshooting the dishwasher.

Old 05-17-21, 04:13 AM
A
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
Can you remove the dishwasher panel closest to the floor and behind that can you find the power cable that feeds the dishwasher? (Not everyone can answer yes without pulling the dishwasher out from under the counter.) This is where you want to measure voltage between black and white to see that the dishwasher is getting or not getting power. For good measure also check the voltage white to ground (bare or green wire) and black to ground.

A dishwasher has a heating element which is why a lot of folks think about 240 volts. But for simplicity of wiring, most U.S. household dishwashers do not take 240 volts. This means that the heating element does not work fast and it is important for the dishwasher to have immediate hot water. Nobody tells you that for best results you need to run the kitchen sink faucet until the water gets hot, just before starting the dishwasher.

Old 05-17-21, 04:59 AM
M
Received 164 Votes on 151 Posts
A make and model number would be useful to anyone trying to help you!!!!

Old 05-17-21, 10:34 AM
B
Oh yes so my dishwasher is a Bosch

SHP65TL5UC/07

The controls are on the top. I removed the kick plate and I can't get to the power without pulling it out. But maybe I'll do that. I installed the dishwasher when we got it 5 years ago. As I mentioned I confirmed power is going to the dishwasher. I measured at the junction box under our sink where the power connects.

Old 05-17-21, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,611 Votes on 1,483 Posts
There should be a floating junction box that connects the dishwasher to power.
It's designed to connect to after the unit is in place.

Old 05-17-21, 11:19 AM
Received 117 Votes on 101 Posts
When I installed a similar Bosch dishwasher in 2016 there were some intermittent power issues that fortunately were resolved under warranty. However there was power to the control panel and an error code (not documented) was displayed.

The ground connection in the junction box provided by the manufacturer was finicky and caused some internal electrical control issues even though the line-to-neutral and line-to-ground showed 120 volts. Once a solid ground was established the problems went away.

Old 05-17-21, 11:31 AM
B
@Pjmax - yes on that box that's where I verified power coming into the box and out to the dishwasher.

@2john thanks good to know.

I just learned I may have warranty coverage here. No clue tho how long it will take to get scheduled.

Old 06-14-21, 10:10 AM
E
Box wired backwards

I replaced a hardwired dishwasher with a Bosch SilencePlus 50dBA. The dishwasher came with a wall outlet plug. I had to buy a separate electrical box to switch from house wire to the Bosch plug. I miswired and connected neutral to line and line to neutral. I was using the dishwasher for months before the power cut out. Inside the box the black house line wire was burned through. I fixed the wiring and the dishwasher is working fine.

Old 06-14-21, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 369 Votes on 319 Posts
I miswired and connected neutral to line and line to neutral. I was using the dishwasher for months before the power cut out. Inside the box the black house line wire was burned through.
Reversing the hot and neutral wires when hooking up a dishwasher would not cause that type of failure. Likely it was a loose/poor connection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: