Frigidaire Evaporator Fan Stops and Starts

Old 06-05-21, 11:02 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire Evaporator Fan Stops and Starts

Need help: My Frigidaire PLHS267ZCB3 side by side has had this issue for over a year: the evaporator fan starts and stops continuously. The fan starts to spin and as soon as it spins a few rotations quickly, it stops - and over again. It's as if it gets 1-second power surges. I have replaced the thermostat and the evaporator fan motor and this issue continues. The freezer builds up ice very quickly on the back panel, and the refrigerator is not cold enough to keep food from spoiling. My husband is convinced this is how the evaporator fan is supposed to run. I'm a new DIY - please help!

Old 06-06-21, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm sure I can help you with the problem but I must have the correct model number.
There are too many variations for me to guess at the problem cause.

In the mean time.... every major appliance comes with a tech sheet. It's a mini service manual. It can be found behind the lower kickplate or if no kickplate..... in the back near the compressor. Look carefully... it may be folded up and in a plastic bag.

Old 06-06-21, 03:32 PM
R
Exact model

Old 06-06-21, 03:39 PM
R
The evaporator fan surges once per second. We replaced the evaporator fan motor, and the thermostat, so we can eliminate those as the sources. When I place my hand on the air damper on the refrigerator side, with every surge of the evaporator fan (located in the freezer), I feel a puff of cold air. Only a short puff. I am wondering if the issue could be the adaptive defrost control? Maybe the control board is not telling the evaporator fan to stay on. We have checked the wiring coming from the evaporator fan and all is well there.
I cannot find any videos related to this, because all videos begin with disconnecting the fridge from electricity, which of course stops the evaporator fan from operating.

Old 06-09-21, 05:51 PM
R
Frigidaire FFHS2622MS might be the model number instead of what I posted?

Old 06-09-21, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Yes.... that's better. Still missing last digit. I used FFHS2622MS0
Are you sure this is what you have ?
Sears Parts Direct exploded views

The problem you are describing is common in a DC type evaporator motor.
You replaced the fan motor assembly. I would check the voltage on the two supply wires.... light blue and red.
The pdf file below is the tech sheet for your unit but not a lot of helpful info.

The picture is the 120v motor assy for the last model number. Is this what you replaced ?

Attached Images
Old 06-10-21, 10:29 AM
R
Yes, that is the part we replaced - the motor assembly.
241854301, 5303918549 Evaporator Fan Motor Fits Electrolux Frigidaire AP4343697
We also replaced the thermostat:
5303918214 Refrigerator Defrost Thermostat Kit

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: