Washing Machine (front-loading) - won't drain

Old 07-08-22, 11:32 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washing Machine (front-loading) - won't drain

Hi, I have a Kenmore 51495, which seems to be a rebranded Samsung 592-49145.

Tried to wash a load and the cycle stopped at the rinse/spin stage with the ND / no drain error. Started it again, and I could hear the pump running (maybe a bit louder/rougher than normal) but no water was being removed.

I tried the following:
- drained filter reservoir: no foreign objects found
- checked main inlet hose: water moves from the tub down to the pump with no problems
- checked outlet hose: no blockages
- checked outlet backflow/check valve, no problems
- checked pump impeller, rotates smoothly until the magnets catch on the next step
- confirmed pump gets proper voltage (120V)
- confirmed pump resistance is in spec (14 Ohms)

So to summarize: I disassembled everything. Nothing appears damaged or clogged. I started the rinse/spin cycle with the bare pump (also with the filter housing attached but the filter itself removed), which revealed that the impeller is turning. I connected the hoses to the pump outside the washer, filled both ends with water, and restarted the cycle - the pump hums normally but still no water movement.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pump label: US DC31-00054A 62902090
PLASET-COD. 62735
120V AC-60 Hz 80 W CL.F
MADE IN CHINA OB 15B-3M-12 01 014

Last edited by bunnsion; 07-08-22 at 11:39 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 07-16-22, 03:12 PM
B
Replaced the pump with one from Amazon and all is well. I was under the impression that the impeller was not attached (similar to common PC water cooling products), but after completely disassembling the pump it seems that it should be. So there was no problem with the motor itself, but something was going on with the connection between spindle and impeller.

Reviewers commonly complain of detaching impellers on these replacement parts, we'll see how long it lasts.

Old 08-22-22, 04:05 PM
B
Also, in case anyone else is searching, this is the part I used: LinkEZ Replacing OEM DC31-00054A Samsung Washer Pump. Physically, it is nearly identical, though there are some small design changes to the motor housing.

At CAD $42.00, it is a few dollars more than the cheapest ones on Amazon, and less than a third the price of an OEM replacement from a dedicated appliance repair part site... It is advertised as an OEM part, which may be untruthful, but at least the motor resistance checks out (14.0 Ohm); many of the other "compatible" ones list other values (though nothing stops those from being wrong either).

Old 08-22-22, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
That seller claims it's the OEM part in an unbranded box. Very doubtful.
There are many vendors selling the "OEM" (non oem) replacement part.

I haven't come across a loose impeller. I have found the pump clogged with lint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: