Samsung Refrigerator Stopped Producing Ice

Old 08-06-22, 05:57 AM
Q
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Samsung Refrigerator Stopped Producing Ice

I have a Samsung Refrigerator model RFG237ACRS French style with two upper doors and a water and ice dispenser. The refrigerator started making noises that sound almost like a mourning dove (from time to time), Initially I ignored that thinking the noise was from the compressor. But now I think it is the ice maker.

The ice maker stopped producing ice. I can hear the auger movement when I attempt to get ice but no ice comes out. When I try to remove the ice bucket, I can only move it outwards about 2 inches before it jams, not enough to look inside. I believe that there is ice formed at the top that is holding the end of the bucket from pulling out - but I cannot see that.

I have tried to do a forced defrost "Fd" using the electronic pushbuttons on the display with no success. After pressing the Freezer and Lighting buttons simultaneously and holding them for 8 seconds, I do not get a blank screen, but two large zeros a couple of inches apart. When I try pressing any other button to try to get the "Fd", the fridge goes back to normal display.

Any ideas?

Old 08-06-22, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
I'll need to look up the fridge but many of the freeze problems like that are caused by a poor chute seal allowing warm air to travel up and cause a freeze up.

Old 08-06-22, 05:23 PM
Q
Yes, I've read about that. I vaguely remember a few years back I had a similar problem, but the ice tray opened up nicely, now it does not.

My problem now is getting that ice tray out of the way so I can deal with what's behind it.

I have discovered that there are at least three groups of Samsung refrigerators with different "secret" procedures to get the Force Defrost to come on. I was trying the other two I found online since the fellows that did those videos said that there were two such procedures, but neither worked for me. I have now tried the third which did work. By pressing the Energy Saver and Fridge buttons simultaneously for 12 seconds I got a blank screen (all black). Then by pressing on the Ice Off button, the fridge displays F1, press again and it displays F2, press again and it displays F3, press again and it displays Fd and starts beeping, and continues beeping for 30 minutes until that cycle comes to an end (unless turned off before it ends). The other F displays are apparently quick freeze functions with F1 being fastest and gradually slower to F3.

I have now done this procedure twice, but the ice tray is still jammed, the bird like sound is back, and still no ice. I did not notice any water to be cleaned up from melted ice anywhere in the fridge. I wonder if it's something else jamming it!

Old 08-08-22, 02:11 PM
Q
I have now done six full cycles of the Fd function. There has been some change in the way the ice bucket moves, still only opens a couple of inches, but at one point whatever is jamming it kept it from closing back up and I think I heard some ice bits fall. With a little extra force I was able to push it back in enough to allow the main door to close. I have read that the Fd may have to be done several times, but how many will this thing take? Six and counting!

Old 08-08-22, 02:39 PM
Received 252 Votes on 217 Posts
The photo in this thread shows some ice build up at the rear. That photo was taken after I had already removed a lot of ice along the ice maker. I have seen much larger ice blobs at the rear (extending to the bottom edge of the blue box) and if large enough could catch on the back end of the container. Sometimes a cube or two will get caught between the ice blob and the side of the ice maker. That also could cause the container to stick. Unfortunately multiple forced defrosts seems the only way to reduce the ice blob. Since the container canít be removed, hair dryer (extremely risky) or vinegar spray donít seem to be options.

Old 08-10-22, 05:39 AM
Q
Thanks, 2john02458, I think you hit the nail on the head. The owner's manual says to not use a hair dryer. I've seen videos of people doing that, but that seems crazy - fridge open for a long period of time trying to cool things while the dryer is trying to heat things!

I have done about 10 force defrosts, and that does not seem to work either, it seems like it's equivalent to digging a ditch with a soup spoon!

I am going to leave the fridge in service with the ice maker turned off until winter (we have a couple of ice trays to use in the meantime). At that time we'll empty out the refrigerator when we can put everything in boxes in the cold cellar, then unplug the refrigerator overnight to give it a good thawing and cleaning. The following day, we'll put everything back in service. While I am at it, I will put a bead of caulking along the side of the ice maker, where allegedly warm air enters causing this freeze-up problem.

Old 08-10-22, 06:30 AM
leave the fridge in service with the ice maker turned off
Check from time to time to see if you can remove the container. When the ice maker is turned off and not making new ice the blob/block may evaporate enough to allow the container to come out. Then you can attack it and clear it out.

When I use the hair dryer I put it on a very low setting for extremely short bursts (less than 15 seconds) and do not aim it directly at any plastic parts (only on the ice) and even then just enough for me to make an edge that I can scrape with a plastic scraper made for defrosting. My most recent attempt with the vinegar "deicer" worked almost as well so I think I will not have to use the hair dryer again.

Put a towel on the bottom inside the ice maker while defrosting to catch water, ice, etc. Usually I can get it done in less than 15 minutes and the door alarm takes almost that amount of time before it sounds.

​​​​​​​I am waiting until after "condensation season" to do the caulking when things will be dryer. I'm pretty sure my problem is caused by condensation. When I am at home and the fridge is opened and closed a lot I get a huge slug of water from the ice maker when dispensing ice. When I am away for four days and the fridge stays closed there is no initial water slug when dispensing ice.

Old 08-15-22, 01:38 PM
Q
I still cannot open it. I think it will be a lot easier to just defrost the entire refrigerator. We've never done that since buying it, so it could use a good cleaning throughout. :-)

Old 08-20-22, 08:14 AM
Q
Tried to open it today. It opens some more but the ice still hasn't all melted and it's still partially jammed. Perhaps in another week or two, it'll come out fully, then I can apply a bead of caulking.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 08-29-22, 05:55 PM
Q
I was finally able to open the ice drawer. There was a large hunk of ice at the top right that slid back and forth but would not come out in one piece. Had to break it apart to get it off.

Now all is back to normal.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 09-22-22, 10:50 AM
For the first time, my ice bucket is trapped. I have done several forced defrosts and have had the ice maker turned off for almost 2 weeks. I have also several times pumped some room temperature air into the ice maker with a hair dryer set to no-heat. The bucket has moved slightly but not more than 1/4 inch.

Frustrated that I could not see what is going on, I purchased a WiFi endoscope. Here are the results:

Crystallized frost/ice on bottom of ice maker coil section. I think that blob in the center of the photo is blocking the rear of the bucket from passing. The photo is rotated counterclockwise--the top of the bucket is to the left and the back is behind the blob.

Ice cube frozen to coil section above bucket. Out of reach of auger.

More ice cubes above auger.
It appears that when the bucket was full of ice the top cubes were touching the frozen coil section and are stuck there out of reach of the auger. They may also be blocking the rear wall of the bucket from passing.

I have no further clue about how to better defrost to release the blob and those frozen cubes. In addition to pumping above-freezing air into the bucket area I am also going to warm up the right outside of the ice maker from inside the refrigerator and continue forced defrosts.

I thought about pumping some water/vinegar fluid onto the frozen areas, but given the difficulty I had just orienting the endoscope to the right location, I think that would be futile and too messy.

Old 09-26-22, 02:41 PM
Success finally

I managed to get my ice bucket freed and out of the ice maker. It took lots of blowing air in, chipping away with a 5/8 piece of PEX after locating the ice blob with the endoscope and tugging forcefully on the bucket. Fortunately nothing broke. Once I got the bucket out I could attack the ice directly.

The ice blob after I got the bucket out. Thin layer of frost in front already removed.

After removing about a 1/4inch of frost/granular ice at the front on the bottom of the coil section, I attacked the blob with a long 1/8 inch pointed rod that I use for probing walls. I took care to keep the point of the probe on the ice and not near any other parts. Slight taps with a tack hammer broke it up into chunks.

I drilled a view port in the front case.
Anticipating future occurrences, I drilled a 5/16 inch hole in the front panel. There is about 1 inch of foam insulation inside. I used a metal bolt to cut threads in the hole and then closed it with a 5/16 inch nylon bolt (unused toilet seat bolt.)

Endoscope view though the port.

The endoscope fits nicely through the hole and gives me a good view of the bottom of the coil area and the right side where the ice builds up. If the bucket gets trapped again I will be able to use my probe through the hole to break up the ice.

I shined a bright light into the cabinet seams on the right and left sides and saw no light coming through. However the left side still had the electrical casing in place. Once I get some caulk I will open that up and caulk that joint which does not seem tight from the outside allowing condensation to form.

I hope I have masterfully outwitted the Ice Master!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: