GE fridge: defrost water clogging

Old 08-11-22, 11:23 AM
S
Sip
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE fridge: defrost water clogging

Hi there,
my GE GDS18SBPSS refrigerator has clogged twice now. It's a freezer bottom. I use a heatgun and melt the ice blocking the drain and it's back in business. But I suspect the Defrost Heater Element is dead. It's part # WR51X10027, which is conveniently No Longer Available.

Do you think I'm right to believe the heater element is no good? And does anyone know the naming convention for these heaters? It seems like many start with WR51X, but end with 10xxx. In my case 10027 is NLA, but I did find that WR51X10029 is available. I'm wondering if the number corelate to length, or something that I can find an approximate replacement.

Thanks!!

Old 08-11-22, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
That is a partial model number. I need the complete model number to help you.
Locate the fridge ID tag.

Old 08-11-22, 08:42 PM
S
Sip
GDS18SBPBLSS

I peaked in on the fridge because i needed to reinstall the styrofoam cover (It is water-logged in a few places, and of course, frozen... low and behold, the heater element was warm and glowing red!

So, I think it's fair to say that part is still working. Do you think it might be the timer? or something else that's allowing the water to freeze in the drain causing the clog?

Old 08-12-22, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
Sometimes the drain becomes clogged with sludge like algae. Cleaning it with HOT water.... not boiling water and some bleach will open it right up. The sludge and water can both combine to freeze the opening solidly closed. It will never unthaw during a standard defrost.

Some drain tubes have a heater in them. Yours does not. The picture shows you in detail what it looks like. The wire is a piece of #10 or #12 solid copper wire several inches long just hanging on the defrost element. When the unit defrosts the wire heats the drain water and no more freezeups.

This should be a helpful video for you.......... GE condensation drain modification video

Old 08-13-22, 05:58 PM
S
Sip
That's brilliant! Thanks for sharing

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: