Whirlpool dishwasher needs draining before it'll run?

Old 10-24-22, 07:24 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow Whirlpool dishwasher needs draining before it'll run?

WDT790SAYM1 dishwasher, about 8 years old. Runs (and drains) totally fine. But then let it sit for about 6-8 hours (as it fills up with dishes throughout the day slowly) and if you try to start it, it will not run. It makes sounds like it will run but then it just does not and the water pump never kicks in.

If I then cancel the wash cycle and run the drain cycle, it will drain (and I hear the water being pumped out). Then start the wash cycle and it'll run no problems, complete the cycle and drain at the end. There is no standing water on the bottom of the dishwasher, not when the cycle ends nor when I try to start the cycle.

Old 10-24-22, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
That dishwasher has two pumps..... the drain pump and the high pressure wash pump.
The drain pump creates a low pitched hum while the wash pump is much noisier.

There is always some water left behind in the sump even if you can't see it.
Are sure that when you try to wash that there is still no visible water ?
If yes...could indicate a leaking fill valve.

Other that that nothing comes to mind. The machine shouldn't know if there is too much water unless it was high enough to hit the float switch. In that case... you'd see the water level.

You should be getting some type of diagnostic code via blinking lights if there is a control issue.
I'd recommend running the diagnostic routine for the machine. There is a tech sheet in a little bag just under the kickplate. I've also posted the pdf file below. Let me know when you have it as I don't leave them posted.

Tech sheet W10350140

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
W10350140A.pdf (910.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-25-22, 08:35 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you!!
Yes, I am positive there is no water in the bottom, but there is a little bit of water in the filter area. Meaning if I unscrew the filter, the filter housing is about 1/2 in the water. I have noticed that immediately after draining the machine, the water level there does go down to about 1/4 of filter area having water (I guess this makes sense and the area is never completely dry) but it does seem like after a while, there is just enough of water leakage that it fills the filter area about half way. This could indicate that if I did not use the dishwasher for a day or two maybe the water level would rise to have actual visible water in the bottom (as in the leak you mention is very slow but enough).
Thanks again; I'll look into this!
EDIT: Yes, I downloaded the PDF, thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: