Effect of daily WiFi timed On/Off schedule on Whirlpool refrigerator

Old 03-20-23, 07:03 AM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Effect of daily WiFi timed On/Off schedule on Whirlpool refrigerator

I want to plug my kitchen refrigerator into a wifi timer that turns it off at say 5am and turns it back on at 8pm. It's a regular whirlpool side by side type. I just don't need it to be running during the day and sometimes I am not here, thus the wifi timer. I also have a Midea chest freezer that I want to set up the same way. I am wondering if this daily, timed on/off might have any negative effect that shortens it's life or any bad effect thereof?

Top Answer

03-20-23, 07:14 AM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Yeah the bad effect would be that your food gets warm and you get botulism or some other food related illness.

Old 03-20-23, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Yeah the bad effect would be that your food gets warm and you get botulism or some other food related illness.

2john02458, bambata, CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 03-20-23, 07:19 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
The major energy user is the compressor. It does not run all the time but only when the refrigerator/freezer drops below the set temperature. If you are not opening the door during the day the temperature inside will not change much and the compressor will not run. Some models have controls the let you set for energy saver mode and may modify defrost cycles, etc. Some models have a super cool-down cycle that starts when power is restored, so you might actually use more energy using a timer.

Old 03-20-23, 08:21 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Yes this is a bad idea for both appliances.
If you want to save energy make sure you clean the compressor coils and it's fan often.

bambata voted this post useful.
Old 03-20-23, 09:09 AM
B
Yes this is a bad idea for both appliances.
Hey can you elaborate from a technical perspective why it's a bad idea. That's what I would really like to understand. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-23, 09:13 AM
B
@XSleeper
My bud there to the extremes! We lived through the North Texas blizzard sans power for 4...5 days. We didn't open the fridge unless necessary, so I figure a 12 hour cut off would be just fine, as there's no one here daytime. Nevertheless, I understand. Looks like I might have to abandon this idea before it gets started.

Last edited by bambata; 03-20-23 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-20-23, 10:43 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The appliances will only run, and use electricity, when needed.

It will be needed when the temp rises.

By unplugging your risking the temps to rise above the set temp and food spoils.

There is little to gain but more to loose!

bambata voted this post useful.
Old 03-20-23, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
The units cycle on and off as needed. They will cycle much less if they don't get opened.
Turning the unit off for that long would cause it to run a long time to get caught back up.
Keeping units closed will reduce defrosting needed which will save money.

Here's the biggie that many don't know.... when you disconnect the power to a fridge it looses its adaptive defrost memory. When powered up... it will run for xx time and then defrost whether it needs it or not attempting to relearn a new memory. It will defrost several times while learning a new memory. The defrost utilizes a 400-600w heating element and can cause more energy consumption than allowing the unit to just operate normally.

If you're on a smart meter with time of day savings.... put your electric hot water heater on a timer.

2john02458, bambata, CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: