Ice maker shutoff issues

Old 05-17-24, 09:51 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ice maker shutoff issues

My Kitchen Aid ice maker failed again and I bought another universal replacement. The new unit came with its own shutoff arm but it was shorter than my original. It looked to be like it was going to overfill the ice tray every time before shutting off.

The ends of the arm, or bail I guess youíd call it, were the same, so I swapped them. Unfortunately I threw the leftover and old parts away and weeks later, the bail keeps coming off! Iíve tried to tweak it a bit to make it hold, but 3 times now it has come off. It pushed out of the switch in the front I assume from the mound of ice cubes as we open and close the drawer. Does anyone have a suggestion for a solution? The front of the arm sits inside the shutoff switch but does not pertrude, the back of the arm bends inward making it susceptible from popping out in the back.

Old 05-17-24, 09:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
You did not provide the model number of your fridge so we don't know what you have. Post a few good pictures from different angles of the bail/arm and where you want to connect it. Hopefully we can come up with some good ideas to make it work.

Old 05-18-24, 07:28 AM
L
I think I have it resolved. These are just cheap plastic pieces on these ice makers, I was careful assembling it. I decided to look on YouTube to see if there was anything related. All that I found was a video about replacing the ice maker, but I watched it anyway. At the end of the video, they installed the arm. The guy made a comment about making sure the front of the arm was pushed all the way into the switch. I thought to myself, surely Iíve got it pushed all the way in. I immediately went upstairs and checked only to find out that there was another click of the arm to be pushed in! Fingers crossed that itís in there good now.

Old 05-18-24, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
If you look at the bale arm the end that goes into the switch has like ridges.
It snaps firmly into the switch housing.

Old 05-18-24, 08:27 AM
L
Yes, there are multiple ridges and apparently I only pushed it in far enough to capture half of the ridges. Thatís a cheesy plastic shutoff switch in the ice maker, I guess I was a bit too gentle with it being concerned about breaking it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: