electric stove - flat vs coil

Old 12-28-01, 04:20 PM
mbkyle
Visiting Guest
electric stove - flat vs coil

Help! I need some input/opinions about choosing a new electric stove. I love the look of the flat top (ceran) cooking surfaces - they look so much easier to clean than the ugly old coil types but I have heard that those glass tops can break if a spice jar or pot was dropped and they are very expensive to repair. I am worried about repair costs with the smooth tops because I have had few problems with my old coil stove (a 12 year old GE) other than replacing a couple burned out elements over the years.
I do a lot of heavy duty cooking (huge pots of stew, pasta sauces etc) that have to simmer for a long time. Also, I do quite a bit of baking so the largest oven size is a necessity. Are warming drawers on the electric stoves worthwhile?(I know Kenmore makes some).
I do have a lot of concerns about getting the "right" stove - with low maintenance/repair costs - but do not want to be swayed unfairly by the good looks of the flat top stoves only to find that it is more of a prima donna than I need likewise I don't want to settle for the "ugly" one if the "pretty" one holds up just as well. This one needs to last me for another 12+ years!

Old 12-28-01, 04:44 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

Ceran glass...

- tough to break ( we have 3 teens )
- no pans or rings to clean
- they heat well
- area around the burners stay cooler
- they do look great!!
- expandable element

But...
- pans/pots must be flat bottomed
- elements and cooktop are more expensive
- need special cleaner and scraper

Changing elements for a Ceran top range is normally no biggie But the elements themselves are more expensive than regular coil elments! Ceran elements do not seem to fail more oftne thna coil ones do...Ceran elements usually have a 5 year parts warranty.

For canning...I would stick with a coil element range and use canning elements....

icon

Ceran stoves must have flat bottom pots and canning pots usually do better on a coil style elements....esp large over sized pots.

Warming drawer...my opinion only...not worth the money.

jeff.

Old 12-28-01, 04:47 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Some "extra" Ceran top info....

http://www.applianceaid.com/cerantop.html

jeff.

Old 12-29-01, 03:29 AM
Fyxxez
Visiting Guest
As far as cost to repair the glass they are expensive. When large retailers get a glass cooktop that the glass has broken in shipping, they throw it away . Too expensive to repair. At least around here they do.

Old 01-03-02, 04:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Flat Top vs Coil Top

There are good and bad points to both. In addition to what's already been posted, I'd like to add my wife's feelings. She says she likes the extra countertop space the flat top gives when it is not being used., and it looks better. On the repair side, we left a pot unattended on a flat top and the pot melted into the glass and the top had to be replaced at just under $500. That's just the top, not the elements. If you buy a flat top, I recommend the extended warranty. It cost $100 for three years at Sears. Cleaning is very easy...Just scrape with the provided scraper and polish with the cooktop polish...It shines and looks great. Pots and pans have to be flat, but not PERFECTLY flat like I thought. Just can't use those old, round bottomed aluminum pots from the camping bag. This causes the elements to cycle on and off excessively thereby shortening their life. per the repairman. Can you go over someone's house with a flat top and fix a meal? That would give you a first-hand experience! Can you call up the local appliance repair shop and ask them about repair frequency of flat top vs. coil top? Hope this helps...Ray A.

Old 01-03-02, 05:20 AM
Visiting Guest
My sister-in-law had a ceran stove and although she loved the way it looked, she later learned that it wasnt what it was cracked up to be. Jeff is right, you are not allowed to can on them. I'm not sure that I would trust it for any "big" pots that you said you liked to use. Good luck in your search.
Gal

Old 05-19-06, 10:49 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Be careful with the warranty if yu read it closely Glass is not covered. so whenit breaks it is trash, mine just cracked, under warranty over $500 to replace the glass, $599 for a new range, same model.

Old 07-18-07, 05:21 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceran flat top scratches

they look nice but take a lot of care - scratches are difficult to fix - they do work well otherwise - would recommend coil for serious cook.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: