Whirlpool Microwave Hood Combo - Night Light Feature

Old 07-27-04, 04:02 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Microwave Hood Combo - Night Light Feature

This is more of an FYI than a question. I've gotten lots of help here, so if this helps anyone I'd be glad.

I have a Whirlpool Microwave/hood combo installed in my kitchen. It's not you're run of the mill microwave or space-saver type microwave - it's installed above the range and the cabinets are built around it.

Anyhow, the hood has a pair of lights in it with 2 settings - regular and "night light". Last week, when we attempted to turn the lights off we were greeted with sizzling and popping sounds and the lights remained on. Not even fast and furious pressing of the "light" button would make them shut off.

I called Sears. Maybe I shouldn't have, but it doesn't matter now. The guy shows up and says it's a relay built into the circuit board. The entire circuit board must be replaced and it will be $396 to fix. No thanks. I can replace the whole unit for a little under $300. I paid him his minimum $65 plus tax and he left.

I called Whirlpool and after speaking to an operator who evidently hates her job and her life and probably kicks her cat I found that Whirlpool does not sell microwave parts. She did give me the name of a local appliance parts distributor. The woman that answered the phone there was very nice and informed me that the part (circuit board) was $114 shipped to me.

The part arrived yesterday. It is from "FSP", which is "A Whirlpool Corporation". The Sears guy was right - I could see the relay built into the new board. I'm happy to report that the lights are now working fine. ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE with a phillips head scewdriver can replace this thing.

As an aside, the clicking of the relay is a lot more apparent in this new part. I think they must've beefed it up in the replacement parts.

I don't know how common the problem is, but DO NOT call anyone to fix it. Call Whirlpool to get the name of your local parts people and *do it yourself*(HA....like that tie-in to the name of the board?!).

HTH,
Jim

Old 02-12-05, 12:04 PM
bhm00
Visiting Guest
Question whirlpool microwave / hood fan

I have the same microwave and it just quit last week. No lights or anything. Is there a fuse inside the unit? The outlet is fine but no lights , clock or anything.

Old 02-12-05, 02:05 PM
T
I'm not sure if there's a fuse or not. The board I replaced controls everything - it's the keypad, the "beeper", the display. I'd bet that if yours is dead that this $114 board would fix it. There's really not much else to it.

Jim

Old 03-24-10, 10:45 AM
M
Thanks for the help.

I was just researching this problem. My control panel isn't working properly. Where did you order the circuit board from. One online place just quoted me $143.95.

Old 03-24-10, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
5 y/o post mike...doubt there will be a response. The price difference is prob due to inflation...

Welcome to the forums...

Old 03-24-10, 04:31 PM
T
Yep - 5-year-old thread. I don't remember where I ordered the part from. It might even have been Sears. They have a good online parts system with diagrams. I would say $143 in 2010 for a part that was $114 in 2005 is probably reasonable.

Good luck!

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: