Over-the-range microwave installation advice?

Old 03-01-05, 09:48 AM
sanddog
Visiting Guest
Over-the-range microwave installation advice?

I live in an old apt in NYC, which means that I have a narrower-than-standard oven. I'd still like to put in an over the range microwave, but i only have 24 in. of width to work with. Does anyone make a narrower version? If not, is there any way I can install a countertop microwave (which would fit) up there?

Old 03-01-05, 09:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
sanddog, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Not sure about the sizes however you have to realize that the microwave has to have a bottom exhaust system to work over a stove. Whenever you use the stove oven, you have to run the micro fan or it will mess up the micro. Just something to keep in mind and ask about when you buy one. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-01-05, 10:11 AM
Wink

Have to look around for one I dont know of them. With the 24 " can you get 3" on each side of the range? you need 30" for them . Also 18" up from the burners on the range to the bottom of it.

ED

Old 03-01-05, 10:22 AM
sanddog
Visiting Guest
24 inches is the total width of the space above my stove -- it's the total width of my stove. (welcome to NYC...) There is a cabinet above the stove, to which the range hood is attached. I'd like to put the microwave below that. Is there some way to mount a shelf, or something?

Also, why do I need 3 inches on either side of the microwave? Does this mean I need to be looking for an 18-inch wide microwave?

Old 03-01-05, 12:22 PM
Wink

The range microwave is 30" wide. thst why I ask can you get 3" on each side

Ed

Old 03-04-05, 01:11 PM
sanddog
Visiting Guest
No, I can't. That's why I asked if anyone knew of a narrower model, or if there was some way to mount a countertop model in that spot.

Old 04-12-05, 10:00 AM
Dimarc67
Visiting Guest
Hi, Sanddog. I live downtown in Battery Park City.

I recently shopped for an over-the-range microwave--I didn't see any size other than 30". Also, most every model I looked at had a built-in range hood with charcoal filters, so you'd end-up removing the hood you have now anyway.

However, an alternative that I'm very close to taking myself is an over-the-stove shelf unit that is designed to sit on the edges of the stove/range--and it's available in both 24" and 30" sizes. Peerless-Premier makes one in white, black, and brushed steel, for about $100.

The great part is that there's no labor for installation. Once assembled, there's no wall-mounting of any kind. You can see photos of it at:
http://www.premierrange.com/accessories.htm#spacesaver

Hope this is helpful. I'm about an hour's internet search away from ordering one for myself.

Good luck, Neighbor.

David
New York, NY

Old 05-04-05, 01:00 PM
TechniCal
Visiting Guest
Sandog - Check out the LG Model LMV1314. It is a 22" wide model made specifically for 24" openings. Go to http://us.lge.com

Old 05-07-05, 10:10 PM
Noah
Visiting Guest
24 inch microwaves for under the range

Ther are a few out there see this one from panasonic. Panasonic NN-S254WF ...just google it. I think its just what you need.
Noah

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: