Trouble removing microwave from wall mount

Old 06-07-05, 09:08 AM
bethblank
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Trouble removing microwave from wall mount

Hello.
My mother and I are trying to unmount our GE JVM290 microwave from the wall above the stove. It seems to be resting on a metal plate that has been screwed into the wall. The way the lip comes up at the bottom, it seems like it should be pushed up to be slid off the plate. Problem is, after removing all screws that might hold it in place, it won't budge. Are we missing something? I can't seem to find any information on how these microwaves are mounted.....
thanks
Beth

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-05, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are correct. You must push up to release it from the back plate. Also check for corner screws installed in the upper cabinet above the microwave door. Remove those screws first.

Warning. The unit it too heavy for one man to support once it is released from the wall. You must support it completely with 'something' or it will drop through your arms and onto your feet.

Old 08-09-05, 03:03 PM
kandd
Visiting Guest
microwave help

Originally Posted by Lugnut
You are correct. You must push up to release it from the back plate. Also check for corner screws installed in the upper cabinet above the microwave door. Remove those screws first.

Warning. The unit it too heavy for one man to support once it is released from the wall. You must support it completely with 'something' or it will drop through your arms and onto your feet.

My husband and I are having the same problem removing our microwave from it's wall mount. We've spent a day and a half trying everything we can think of, including using the car jack to push up while we pull. We have an old 1981 JC Penney over the range microwave (model #5960). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-03-07, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing microwave

My wife and I just did this. If you are having a lot of trouble removing the old microwave there may be some release pins. After unpluggin it take off the vent and look for a release pin or bar that goes all the way tot he back. Our old microwave, a kenmore, had two one on each side.