Wine Storage units ???

Old 12-28-05, 11:37 AM
StickStan
Visiting Guest
Wine Storage units ???

I'm wanting to store some wine. We have managed to collect a few bottles over the years. We seem to be getting them faster than we drink them.

My little research seems to say that 60 degrees F is best. I live in Southern California in a non AC house so temps can get well into the 80's, sometimes hotter.

I have found a few Thermoelectric coolers which seems to the have a high operating cost. Since they seem to draw about 70 watts and would be running 24 hr a day for years. After a few years the energy cost might exceed the cost of the cooler. These units also have heaters. Since it seldom gets below 40 degrees here I'm not worry about freezing.

They also sell refrigerator type units. They cost almost twice as much but should run alot less. The cheap units may make more noise, since my dinning room is where it will be, I don't want added noise in my living room near by. There may be other pro and cons.

Anyone know about wine cooling? Anyone store their wine for a 2+ years without harm some other way? I can't really see building a wine cellar for 6 to 10 bottles. :-)

BTW many of the wines we have gotten are in the $10 to $30 range, so I would like to preserve them.

Since I don't know much about wine and don't plan to take a class or read any books. If anyone knows the short and sweet to wine storage, please give any advice you want.

Thanks.

BTW, I did a search, but didn't see anything here about wine. Did I miss a posting?

Old 01-14-06, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Between 45 - 55 degrees farenheit and humidty between 60%-70% is a superlative range in which to store wine. A constant wine storage temperature is what you should be striving for. Recurring changes in wine storage temperature can be detrimental to your wine.. Wine doesn't like change or movement...

Old 01-22-06, 04:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
How much money do you want to spend and how much wine do you want to store?

Places like Lowes, Home Depot & Costco sell wine fridges for a few hundred dollars. They will allow you to show off your wine and should be good to hold your wine for several years. I don't think their vibration is good for holding very valuable wines for a long period though.

You can convert a closet for wine storage. Insulate the walls, ceiling & door. Install a chiller (they start at about $400) and add some wine racks.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on storage make sure you keep the wine at a stable temperature and out of the sun. Storing it in an exposed but pretty wine rack in the kitchen is usually not the best. Keep the wine in the bottom of a closet in the center of the house (more stable temperature and away from light).

Make sure that the wine you have is good for cellaring. Some wines don't get much better with age while some are best after 5 or 10+ years.

If you decide not to store your extra wine... just give the word and I can help you out in the consumption department.

Old 01-23-06, 09:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you decide not to store your extra wine... just give the word and I can help you out in the consumption department
I'm closer....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: