Microwave oven recommendations?

Old 03-20-06, 05:18 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Microwave oven recommendations?

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and I've just moved into my own place one week ago. Surprisingly enough, what I miss most about the old room I rented is the microwave :-)

I'm the kind of person who does their homework before making a buying decision. That's why I won't just go to Wall-Mart and pick up a $50 microwave. I'm looking for a countertop medium or large unit, with a cooking sensor, very good heating evenness, as "intelligent" as possible (so I place the dish, hit some button for that dish type, and it heats it nicely; weighing the pieces for defrosting would be too much to ask ;-), and an option to stop the turntable rotation so you can microwave oversized dishes. It would also be nice if the oven would be easy to clean, and if it had a kind of exterior finish that wouldn't show fingerprints.

The research I did so far on Consumer Reports turned out the GE JES2251SJ (http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=JES2251SJ&SITEID=GEA) as the closest to what I'm looking for.

However, I prefer to buy it locally so I can return it easily, but apparently nobody around San Jose, CA is selling this unit!

So I'm turning to this forum for recommendations... On the other hand:
1. Consumer Report is not exactly the best-informed source (their recommendations for PDAs, for example, are of little value for someone who really deals with gadgets)
2. It's the first time I'm buying a microwave, so maybe what I want is not reallt what I need... I can be swayed
3. Maybe it would make sense to buy a convection-microwave combo? I don't have a convection over either.

Thanks for your insights,
Dan

Old 04-13-06, 09:28 AM
P
Don't buy a Sharp. The first one we had worked for 4 years or so; bought another one by Sharp (carosel) and it is a dud. Will never again buy Sharp. They do not stand behind their products. I've emailed them about a problem and never even got a response.

Old 04-13-06, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
We have a 14 year old GE, so I can vouch for their reliability. I did some quick surfing and that model does appear to be hard to find. Best Buy carries it, but it is on-line order only; not available for in-store pickup. If you have your mind set on that particular model, you may have to order it [I noticed Best Buy has an extended 4 year carry-in warranty for $19.95; not a bad price as extended warranties go].

Old 04-13-06, 11:53 AM
DO buy a Sharp!

our very first microwave when they first came out was a Sharp Carousel. it was huge, very expensive (like $400 bucks or so, as i recall), and worked great for more than 20 years. we only stopped using it because while moving one time, our friend dropped it (not surprising since it weighed a ton!), and we were afraid to use it after that, fearing the door was out of whack. after that, we went to Walmart and bought another Sharp Carousel, only about $50 this time and much lighter, and even it's worked great for over 8 years.

we just moved into a house with a Maytag over-the-range microwave/vent unit. it's very fancy & sounds like one you'd like, but i don't care for it being up high like that. it just seems dangerous to be lifting hot dishes up like that, especially directly over my new smooth surface range!!! so i would recommend sticking with a countertop model, as long as you have the counter space for one. much more convenient & safer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: