French Toaster

Old 08-26-06, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
French Toaster

Don't ask how or why, but I have a brand new French toaster, manufactured by Pylones, that I cannot use in my New York apartment because the toaster is wired for direct current only. Don't want to use a transformer (that would be larger than the toaster). Does anyone know of a shop where I could possibly have this toaster rewired to accept alternating current - in New York or northern New Jersey or other nearby places? Or even far away by using UPS or the USPS?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-06, 07:39 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Well, first the small lesson in electricity. You do not convert AC current to DC with a transformer. A transformer is generally used to change the voltage. A rectifier converts AC to Dc voltage.

What I suspect is that your toaster does not require DC voltage but rather it requires 240 volts as opposed to our typical 120 volts. I am not familiar with France but many European electrical systems utilize 240 volts as their minimum standard house voltage.

Check to be sure this is not what you speak of.

Now if this is the case, you must really love that toaster because it will cost much more than the actual value of the toaster to convert it from 240 to 120 volts.

I would suspect a toaster repair shop (if there is any such thing left in the world) can gut your toaster and install the correct heating elements to utilize 120 volts.

Let us know on that 240 volts thing.

Old 09-03-06, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
French toaster

First, thanks for the two replies to my post.
To the first reply, from the forum moderator, my apologies for posting to the wrong forum. I assumed that since a toaster uses electricity that 'electrical' would be the forum. You say that changing the innards of a toaster would be a different trade. Not sure what that trade would be.
Which brings us to the second responder. What I guess I was asking was for a recommendation as to where I could find, as you phrased it, 'a toaster repair shop'. Well, I guess there aren't any of those left since everything today seems to be made to throw out when it breaks. Also, given the price of many small appliances, it would cost more to fix than to just go out and buy a new one, as you yourself sort of say in regard to my toaster.
In answer to your question, the toaster is listed as 230 volts, 50 Hz, 750 watts. Thank you for explaining about transformers, etc. I am not knowledgeable about electricity and your explanation is appreciated.
Now some good news. I have just found that the Pylones brand has 3 retail stores right here in NYC. I have talked with them and may be able to work out an exchange. If not, then I will give the toaster to a former neighbor, in another state, who happens to have an apartment in France. So either way, the toaster will not go to waste.

Old 09-03-06, 05:07 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Great to hear.

Appliances and their repair don't get covered too well here because they tend to be very specific as to brand and such. Since this is a volunteer forum, you would likely need the help of a Pylone's repairman to give you specifics. I don't think I recall any posting here.

And yes, the toaster repair shop is probably a thing of the past although when I see $150 toasters, I would think they may actually make a come back. A handyman/repairman can often be found in most cities. Finding one that repairs toasters may be another matter. Finding a reliable and competant one may be next to impossible.

Glad you found a solution.

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-03-06 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Extraneous commentary