Installing advice for over-the-range microwave

Old 09-26-07, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing advice for over-the-range microwave

I bought a new house which came with Whirlpool appliances, including a hood vent over the range. I want to replace the hood vent with an over-the-range Whirlpool microwave oven. I bought the microwave from Lowes. The depth of the microwave is 15-1/2" to the front of the microwave fascia, or 14-1/4" for the microwave enclosure.

The cabinets "box" depth is 11-3/4" from the wall, about 12-3/4" to the front of the cabinet door. One problem is, there's a Corian backsplash that goes all the way up the wall where the microwave would go. The Corian backsplash is about 1/2" thick. So, the depth from the Corian backsplash to the front of the cabinet box is 11-1/4", or about 12-1/4" from the backsplash to the front of the cabinet doors.

My questions:

1) Is this a normal depth for an over-the-range microwave?
2) Should I cut the Corian backsplash off the area where I will install the microwave?
3) How do I cut the Corian backsplash, if I need to?
4) If I don't cut the Corian, can I just drill the Corian to install the mounting bracket?

My main concern is that the microwave enclosure will protrude too much beyond the cabinets.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-07, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The important measurement is from the back of the microwave to the cennter of the mounting screw holes in the top of the microwave. The screws will be attached through the cabinet to the microwave to hold it up in the front.

assuming the holes stay within the cabinet.... you should be OK

1) Is this a normal depth for an over-the-range microwave?
Yes
2) Should I cut the Corian backsplash off the area where I will install the microwave?
Probably not.
3) How do I cut the Corian backsplash, if I need to?
Probably not not relevent but it would be difficult and you should use a router.
4) If I don't cut the Corian, can I just drill the Corian to install the mounting bracket?
Yes