Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Small Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

un-bias reviews for vacuums please...dust, dog hair, wood floors and carpet!

Old 10-09-07, 11:06 AM

This is what I posted on my forever dust thread that is linked below:

I saw that someone mentioned a HEPA (?) vacuum.

My qustion is: What vacuums has everyone tried and have you had luck with one over the other? I would love an un-bias review... I might need to post this in a more obvious place too.

My poor Oreck has finally died, and I should qualify that I am a shop vac junkie, I like tons of power in my home cleaner too!

The first floor of my house is all hardwood with a long dog hair area rugs in corners and under furniture. The second floor is carpet without the dog hair.

Thanks tons!
Beth

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-09-07 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Link to duplicate post removed
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-07, 11:41 AM
There are many websites that offer consumer reviews on vacuum cleaners. Here's what Consumer Reports has to say about buying a vacuum cleaner: http://www.mysimon.com/Consumer-Repo...5-5077248.html

Here's a link for allergy sufferers seeking vacuums: http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/acr/acr_57.shtml#486

Central vacuum systems are best for dust control. You will need to decide if you want a cannister or upright vacuum. If you have hardwood floors, you will need a vacuum on which you can turn off the beater bar or at least have a brush attachment. Weight is also a consideration, especially if you have to carry the vacuum up and down stairs.

Damp dusting and mopping helps with dust control. Taking off shoes helps minimize dust. Professional carpet cleaning helps with carpet dust.

Old 10-09-07, 11:53 AM
Dyson makes a great vac but be ready to spend a few dollars.

Old 10-09-07, 12:24 PM
From what I here the latest Dyson is an improvement over past models. Dyson, however, has always been popular but pricey. You can also purchase their mini turbine tool for removing pet hair if you have the All Floor Model ($499) instead of the Animal Model ($599). The DC18 Slim ($469) is an All Floor Model and weighs only 15 lbs. instead of the usual 20 lbs.

Old 10-09-07, 05:13 PM
We have one of those wind tunnel vacs that works better than any we have had. Four pets (one an ultrashedding northern breed mix), wood stove dust, outdoor dust... Our house is a mess! The vac we have is a canister with no bag and has a hepa filter. yes a bag would improve the exhaust but I like being able to shake out the canister into the compost pile, and since we have ALL THIS HAIR! we don't spend a bunch on bags bags and more bags.

Old 10-09-07, 05:31 PM
Logcabincook, do you remember the name of the one you use?

twelvepole, I went to the one site and saw the Electronic for less but I didn't check out the shipping which was included at the other place.

The problem with Consumer Reports is you have to subscribe except that link looks like someone might have done that for everyone

I did read where they are saying the Oreck's are much improved with the newer models too, but I kind of liked my old one. I bought it from Oreck and it was reconditioned. It is nice and light.

Our house was built with a NuTone all house vac, but one of the owners seems to have disconnected it - I wonder if we should check into fixing it, but most of the outlets have disappeared except upstairs.

Thanks for your help guys!

Old 10-10-07, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We just recently bought a Dirt Devil D2 from HD.

It's the cyclone version.

I love it! This thing actually picks up all the dog hair along with alot of dirt that was in the carpet that I didn't know was there.

I must have had numerous vacuums over the years because they loose suction, dirty filters all the time, etc.

I have not had any issues at all with this one.

I would never pay $500 for a Dyson, IMO.

Old 10-10-07, 06:07 PM
It's a hoover wind tunnel. An older model, maybe 6 years old, but it's made it this far with only the cord keeper snapping off and the occasional take it apart full cleaning when a big wad of fur gets jammed during shedding season. We recently bought the cheap-o consumer reports "best buy" that we use in our recording studio (therefore no pets). I am not as fond of it - the hose clogs easily, but once it's clear it really SUCKS, and then clogs.

Old 10-10-07, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the new input...

Has anyone ever heard of this:

Miele S4 Galaxy Series Carina Canister Vacuum Cleaner - Melon Yellow Finish - S4210ICR
One site offers it for 379.00 including shipping.

Logcabincook, I have an art studio and I can't keep the dogs out since its in our contemporary home and it's all open. So I just figure if I ever get famous you'll be able to tell a true original by the dog hair!

Old 10-11-07, 04:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
IMO, it isn't possible to obtain an unbiased report or review of any consumer product, including vacuums, in a forum on any web site, in any ad or advertisement nor from any individual, any sales person, etc.

Simply not possible... What you do get is opinion.

Want an unbiased review/report? Read consumers report magazine or similar. Same as one should do with any major appliance purchase.

Want my unbiased - biased report on vacuums?

One word: KIRBY

Not an inexpensive machine granted but one machine that has it all, does it all and does so very well, IMO. Oh Yeah. The bags come in regular, HEPA-filtration an hypo-allergenic too!

Summation: Repeat after me.
I want the best vacuum there is and $$$ can buy. KIRBY...