Suplemental rheostat for KitchenAid

Old 10-18-07, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suplemental rheostat for KitchenAid

I have a 40+ year old KitchenAid mixer, model K5-A, 300 Watts. Excellent machine.
Problem is speed control, which repairman says is no longer made for this model. Repairman repaired it so that it runs with full torque (kneads 12 cups of dough) but can not be set at slow speed, so it scatters flour. Lever for speed control has ten settings, which seem to work, but only from fast to faster. Could I use a supplemental rheostat that would govern the current going into the machine? I picture an external box between the power cord and the wall outlet. It would supply a fixed or variable amount of current to the machine. Would this work?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-07, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
To answer your question if your mixer is a newer type that has solid stste speed control then you can not do what you propose.

We do not normally permit members to be referred to other forums but here is one Kitchen Aid sponsors with no advertising.

There is contact info in this post and you can ask your own questions there if you register.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-30-07, 06:54 AM
no luck

Hello GregH,
I posted the query on the KitchenAid site you recommended. So far, 26 hits but no replies. The K5-A clearly has a mechanical rheostat that you adjust by tightening or loosening screws. I have tried it and the repair shop has done their best, including resoldering some points. I remain impressed by the power in the machine. I need to know what sort of external rheostat might work. Mechanical or solid state? There must be different ratings. I am a dedicated do-it-yourselfer but I know nothing about electronics apart from hooking one thing to another.
Thanks,
David

Old 11-20-07, 05:57 PM
success

Using a 15 amp speed control designed for a router. Mixer runs at slow speed just fine. Not as smoothly as it did under its own speed control but adequate to the job.

Old 11-20-07, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
It appeared as if the parts were available on the Kitchen Aid site but I am glad it worked out anyway.

Old 11-21-07, 08:06 AM
Really?

Went back to the KitchenAid site and found 59 hits on my question but not one reply. Where did you see the speed control parts? I'd prefer the internal to the external control.

Old 11-21-07, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Oh, I read through some of the posts and one of the moderators who I believe work for the company invited a poster to call them with a parts enquiry.