New Power Cord For Coffee Maker?

Old 02-05-08, 04:24 PM
Unhappy New Power Cord For Coffee Maker?

I had a slight cooking accident today and managed to singe my coffee maker's power cord (it got a bit too close to the stove). The outer insulation is completley gone. I can't tell if the inner wire insulation is broken or not but I don't feel comfortable using it.

While I'll probably end up ordering a new one, I was interested in the possibility of repairing it. The bottom of the appliance was easily removed (where the power cord goes in). It's a 2 wire cord with a polarized plug. Internally, the power cord attaches to the coffee maker with 2 twist caps.

It looks like it would be a snap to replace (strip the wire and use the twist caps)-- but does anyone know where I could get a replacement cord? Quick search at Home Depot was not very helpful. Any specs I should look for?

Also, is this an insanely bad idea? Would appreciate any advice and also not winning the next darwin award.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 04:35 AM
A local hardware store would be better than Home Depot. The impotant thing is the size of the wire. You may have something at home that you can use. A power cord from an unused appliance or a heavy duty extension cord can be cut to size and connected as you described.

Old 02-20-08, 03:59 AM
Most appliance wire has the type of wire on written on the side. Coffee pots use heater cord which may be the same size as many other cords but will take lots higher temps.
Make sure you replace the cord with the same type and gauge and length of cord.

Old 03-04-08, 12:27 AM
Any cord cannibalized from another heating appliance - toaster oven, waffle iron, etc. - should be alright. Be sure to secure the cord inside the coffee maker.