microwave-paint bubbling off


  #1  
Old 05-26-08, 06:43 AM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
microwave-paint bubbling off

The paint on top of the inside of my microwave is bubbling off. I think it's due to steam. Is this dangerous? Can I scrape it and repaint it? If so, with what kind of paint?
 
  #2  
Old 05-26-08, 07:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,815
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I'm no expert when it comes to microwaves but I wouldn't think the peeling paint would pose any hazzard unless it gets in the food

I don't think there would be any problems with scraping, sanding and painting the interior - you would use an oil base enamel or most any spray can paint........ but there could be an issue with removing the paint odor. If it didn't bother me too bad, I'd just remove the peeling paint and use it as is.
 
  #3  
Old 08-30-09, 03:40 PM
B
Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paint Melting in Microwave

The paint or inside in my microwave oven was bubbling up. I didn't think much of it until my husband came down with tongue cancer. He didn't smoke or drink. The only thing that was strange was the way my microwave was bubbling up inside. We were given very grim news, but in time and by swithcing hospitals, my husband is now ok and has been cancer free for 5 years. If ever my microwaves start blubbling up, I throw them out, it wasn't worth the health hazards.
 
  #4  
Old 08-30-09, 03:56 PM
S
Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,823
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is very true that Microwaves are not expensive to replace so before you play around with fixing one think about whether it's worth it or not.

Personally I find it hard to believe that painting the inside of a microwave would lead to cancer.I'm not casting doubt but I'd need verification before I blamed that for cancer.

Most paints that would be used would be mainly made of petroleum distillates and pigments and in a micorwave there would be minimal exposure unless it was used heavily and the food was cooked uncovered most or all of the time.
 
  #5  
Old 08-30-09, 06:45 PM
B
Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bubbling microwave

My food was cooked uncovered and the bubbling paint on the top inside of my microwave had melted and bubbled up quite a bit. I don't doubt that some of the lining may have ended up in our food. Did it cause cancer? I'm not sure, but all I know is that my husband had tongue cancer and I'm not taking any more chances with a microwave that bubbles up and melts as it did. I did not have any adverse reactions to the microwave.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: