Installing microhood without cabinet above

Old 06-14-08, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing microhood without cabinet above

I would like to install a microhood where my old vent hood is but the top of the vent hood is flush with a solid wall on the face and is hollow above the vent hood. This leaves me with no cabinet above to mount the top of the microhood to without knocking a hole in the wall above the space to reach into to get to any kind of a top mount. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-08, 11:09 AM
I am not sure that I understand your delimma, but we had a poster without a cabinet above the stove who came up with the solution to mount a shelf under which he installed the microwave. You can post pictures at www.photobucket.com or other photo site and link here for all to see.

Old 06-14-08, 12:07 PM

Microhood top will be raised to the bottom of the wall above the hood.

Last edited by msrtex; 06-14-08 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-14-08, 12:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Don't know how tall the space is from your picture but looks like you are in for some carpentry work anyway. If thats dry wall on top cut between studs access top

Old 06-14-08, 12:33 PM
It is drywall, thats the concern. I don't want to get into that. So I am to assume you can not just hang a microhood by the wall mount?

Old 06-14-08, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
All the ones I have seen have the bolts from top. I would check large appliance Stores to see if they have under cabinet mount. Where are you venting to?

Old 06-14-08, 12:56 PM
It would vent to the room like the current hood does.

Last edited by msrtex; 06-14-08 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-14-08, 03:01 PM
I'm afraid that mounting the microwave at soffit level will be too high. There's usually a 30" gap from stove top to bottom of cabinet under which the microwave will be mounted. Dimensions of the units are usually somewhere around 29 15/16" x 16 1/4" x 15 9/16".

Photo Credit: Web Stores America

Each manufacturer has its own installation instructions. Most microwaves have mounting plates on the back where you need to install at least one lag screw into a 2x4 stud and four anchor bolts into the wall. You have to have a stud. Then a template is used to drill holes in the bottom of the cabinet above. Once the microwave is attached to the wall, bolts are screwed through holes in bottom of cabinet above. If bottom of cabinet is recessed a filler block the depth of the recess is used to fill the gap where bolts go.

The area where you want to install has no cabinet above. You can box in the area, building a cabinet box which can be left open for decorative items or closed up as the area is currently. Or, you can install doors on the box for additional storage and access to bolts if needed. You will have to reattach the large fillers to hide the gaps on sides of microwave as done now beside range hood.