Kirby--replacing fan impeller, where black stopper go?

Old 06-23-08, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kirby--replacing fan impeller, where black stopper go?

Hi,

I read a couple of web pages about replacing the fan impeller and I still have a question.

I know the black rubber stopper (for lack of a better word) goes against the metal spacer. But does it just rest against it or does it go over the end of it so that part of the metal spacer is exposed?

In other words, if you check out this website:
http://www.greatvacs.com/Kirby%20Fan.shtml

you'll see a picture of the parts at the very bottom. If you click on it to enlarge it, the black stopper is over the end of the metal, exposing part of the stopper.

Is this correct? If the metal is exposed, what's the point of having the black stopper at all?

TIA,
Susie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-08, 07:14 PM
Don't the black piece and washers create a seal to keep dust out of the motor area? I replaced a fan recently, but can't remember exactly how the pieces went in. I just reversed the way they came out.

I don't think it's critical, but apply common sense and you'll probably get it right.

Old 06-28-08, 01:58 PM
Aha! The problem turned out to be that whoever last did a repair put the metal spacer in backwards—thanks to the Kirby repair lady on Ebay for helping me discover this:
http://reviews.ebay.com/KIRBY-VACUUM...00000003711302

So for the record, this is how the pieces go:
1. Put the black stopper over the metal spacer. If the metal spacer is a top hat, the cup end of the stopper (not the flat end) faces away from the brim of the spacer.
2. The metal spacer goes against the motor with the brim facing away (the cylinder of the spacer fits in a little hole at the motor end. The cup end of the stopper fits against this, protecting the motor from dirt).
3. Put the plastic washer over the shaft against the brim of the spacer.
4. Put the fan impeller on so that the concave side goes in first.
5. Metal washer
6. End of the drive shaft. It tightens counter clockwise. Just hand-tighten it because the spinning action will tighten it.